FC: Intel VP, bruised in hearing, dashes off letter to Senate

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Thu Feb 28 2002 - 20:44:50 PST

    The background here is that Intel's Vadasz got beaten up pretty badly
    during the hearing today (see Mike Godwin's below). So Vadasz,
    sensibly, felt compelled to try to lay out his arguments in a more
    careful manner in the letter below.

    It is a mark of how poorly the hearing went for opponents of
    SSSCA-style legislation that Intel chose to do this nearly
    unprecedented step. Often witnesses extend their remarks. Rarely is it
    done so quickly, forcefully, and publicly. (Intel's PR department
    immediately sent this to reporters.)

    Politech archive on Sen. Hollings' SSSCA:
    http://www.politechbot.com/cgi-bin/politech.cgi?name=sssca

    Prepared testimony from the hearing:
    http://commerce.senate.gov/hearings/hearings.htm

    Draft text of the SSSCA:
    http://www.politechbot.com/docs/hollings.090701.html

    http://www.politechbot.com/docs/intel.hollings.letter.022802.html

            February 28, 2002

            Senate Commerce, Science and Transportation Committee
            508 Dirksen Senate Office Building
            Washington, DC  20010

            Dear Chairman Hollings and members of the Committee:

            I write to thank you for the opportunity to testify today
            before the committee on the important issues of content
            protection for digital media. After my appearance today, I
            received a number of questions from members of the press about
            a few key points and I wanted to convey to the members of the
            committee my answers to those questions to be included in the
            record of the hearing, with the Committee's permission. I
            believe this additional information will help the committee
            understand more fully the IT perspective.

            I reiterate that the CPTWG cross-industry working group has
            developed effective technology that is available today that
            can and will protect new digital, secured content from being
            pirated on the Internet. If it is protected "at the source" it
            will always be protected from the illegal activities of
            Internet pirates. Sony Pictures and AOL-Time/Warner have in
            fact licensed this technology.

            However, there was a point of confusion injected before the
            Committee by Mr. Eisner and Mr. Chernin, specifically: the
            securing of unprotected content from Internet piracy. It is
            important for the Committee to understand that content, once
            captured in "unprotected" form, can never be put back in the
            "bottle" and protected against copying on the Internet. This
            is because this unprotected media looks no different to
            digital devices than a home movie that you would send to a
            relative or friend. There is no watermark, chip device, or
            screening system that will ever effectively put an end to this
            problem. Only the passage of time - as new content is released
            with the required protection technologies - will eventually
            solve Internet piracy. Mr. Perry, who co-chairs the relevant
            working group within the CPTWG, also made this clear.

            Another major point of misunderstanding is our differing
            perspectives on the role of the PC in the hands of the
            consumer. Mr. Eisner's characterization of the phrase "rip,
            mix, burn" as emblematic of our industry's perspective on
            piracy is utterly false. What the content community fails to
            recognize is that these utilities - the ability to copy
            content, remix and manage it and port it to other storage
            media for personal use in a protected fashion - are features
            that consumers have come to expect. The ability to rip, mix
            and burn in a protected manner is not piracy, it is simply
            fair use of content as permitted by law.

            As I said, we will continue to work with all interested
            parties on these important issues, as they are vitally
            important to our industries and the nation's economy. Thank
            you again for the opportunity to present our position on these
            important matters.

            Sincerely,

            Leslie L. Vadasz
            Executive Vice President