FC: Microsoft's anti-Unix website runs, well, Unix

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Tue Apr 02 2002 - 05:07:38 PST

    From: "Andrew Downey" <spamat_private>
    To: <declanat_private>
    Subject: UNIX BAD, Microsoft GOOD - maybe.
    Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2002 23:23:47 -0500

    Declan,

    I doubt this story is part of an April fools joke - it's just too
    plausible.  It's from today's Wall Street Journal (page b-2 in the dead
    tree version).  I'd forward the URL, but as you know, WSJ.com is a
    subscription service that's protected by high-tech anti-circumvention
    technology (in this case, a cookie) and I'm trying to cut back on my
    DMCA violations.

    -Andrew

    Microsoft-Led Campaign Against Unix
    Uses Web Site Running on the Software

    By LEE GOMES
    Staff Reporter of THE WALL STREET JOURNAL

    A Web site funded by Microsoft Corp. urging businesses to avoid the Unix
    operating system is itself running on Unix, the latest example of
    Microsoft benefiting from the competitive software even while
    criticizing it.

    The site is connected with a new advertising campaign called "We Have
    The Way Out" that is co-sponsored by Unisys Corp. and Microsoft. The
    purpose of the campaign is to persuade corporate computing customers to
    use computers running Microsoft's Windows operating system instead of
    Unix, a rival operating system. Ads associated with the campaign say
    Unix "makes you feel boxed in. It ties you to an inflexible system. It
    requires you to pay for expensive experts."

    But the Web site that is part of the campaign doesn't use Windows for
    its operations. Instead, it uses a free "open source" version of Unix
    called FreeBSD, along with another piece of free software called the
    "Apache" Web server. Both products compete with Microsoft offerings, and
    both are extremely popular on Internet sites.