FC: More on Howard Berman's war on P2P networks

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Mon Jul 01 2002 - 18:31:26 PDT

    "Rep. Howard Berman declares war on P2P networks, plans new laws"

    From: "Ellen Stroud" <eastroudat_private>
    To: "'Declan McCullagh'" <declanat_private>
    Subject: FW: Rep. Howard Berman declares war on P2P networks, plans new laws
    Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2002 23:04:36 -0700

    Declan, Berman does not have a bill just his speech. The word from the
    IP subcommittee is that they are going to mark-up his bill once it is
    dropped (dropping it possibly the week of July 9) without first holding
    a hearing. Not good. Hollywood is trying to sneak this in at the last
    min.  Ellen

    Ellen A. Stroud
    Government Relations
    StreamCast Networks, Inc.
    650.678.4629

    ---

     From Anonymous:

    Declan,

    	Supposedly the bill is not yet drafted. Berman has successfully requested
    a hearing from the Chairman of House Judiciary's Subcommittee on
    Intellectual Property. (Funny how quickly hearings happen when major
    companies like Disney REALLY want them to occur...)

    	The hearing, set for July 11th, is the date that we can expect the bill to
    become available in some form. Hopefully as a discussion draft, but it may
    be the day that the Congressman introduces the bill, one never knows.

    	(Feel free to use this info, but as always sans attribution.)

    ---

     From Anonymous:

    ** CONFIDENTIAL DON'T USE MY NAME **

    Declan,

    I don't have a copy of the draft bill, but I've heard some details: it
    includes a 'Safe Harbor' provision for good faith interdiction of P2P
    activity -- that is, if a studio THINKS that my computer is serving
    copyrighted content (theirs or someone else's), they would have the legal
    right to HACK MY COMPUTER or my network activity (via DOS or other attacks)
    without any fear of legal repercussions.

    ---