FC: FBI pledges to ditch 1980s computer technology, enter 1990s...

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Tue Jul 16 2002 - 23:03:02 PDT

    http://www.fbi.gov/congress/congress02/higgins071602.htm

                                   July 16, 2002

                              Statement For The Record
                    Sherry Higgins, Project Management Executive
                           for the Office of the Director
                          Federal Bureau Of Investigation

                                         on
                                 FBI Infrastructure

                                     Before the
                           Senate Judiciary Subcommittee
                     on Administrative Oversight and the Courts
                                  Washington, D.C.

         Good morning. I'm Sherry Higgins, the FBI's Project Management
         Executive for the Office of the Director. I have been asked to talk
         to you about how the FBI is fixing old problems and building a
         collaborative information infrastructure to better support our
         mission. I have also been asked to share with you some personal
         perspectives on how the FBI differs from the private sector in
         developing our computing infrastructure.

         Today, we live in a dangerous world, where criminals and terrorists
         exploit advances in technology to perpetrate crimes against United
         States citizens and our national interests. High-speed digital and
         wireless communications, including the Internet, are the "tools of
         choice." Instant global communication has expanded traditional
         organized crime and allowed terrorists to operate from the remotest
         of areas.

         These kinds of abilities helped facilitate the 9/11 attacks. In
         response, Director Mueller is restructuring and reshaping the FBI
         to better fit a new mission with different priorities and to put in
         place the analytical and information sharing capabilities needed in
         the post-9/11 environment.
         A component is the information infrastructure necessary to enhance
         our ability to collect, store, search, retrieve, analyze and share
         information. Prior testimony before Congress has described the
         problems the FBI is experiencing because of outdated technology.
         Thanks to support from Congress, the FBI has embarked on the
         information infrastructure revitalization that I will describe
         today and that is well under way. A word of caution, however. The
         FBI's problems with information technology didn't occur over night
         and they won't be fixed over night either. That is because it is
         more important to get it right and know that we have the systems
         and capabilities that precisely fit our mission as well as cure
         past problems.

         The first major step in this direction is our Trilogy Program. The
         Trilogy Program was designed as a 36-month effort to enhance our
         effectiveness through technologies that facilitate better
         organization, access and analysis of information.
         The overall direction of the Trilogy Program is to provide all FBI
         offices with improved network communications, a common and current
         set of office automation tools, and easy-to-use, re-engineered,
         web-based applications. Our Trilogy system consists of 3
         components:

         · Information Presentation Component (IPC). Hardware and software
         within each office to provide each employee with a current "desk
         top" environment and equipment.
         · Transportation Network Component (TNC). High-speed connections
         linking the offices of the FBI.
         · User Applications Component (UAC). Five user-specific software
         applications to enhance each employee's ability to access, organize
         and analyze information.

         The Information Presentation Component relies primarily on
         commercial-off-the shelf (COTS) hardware and software products that
         provide a modern desktop environment and connectivity, thus
         facilitating employees' ability to input, retrieve, manipulate and
         present information in text, image, audio and video formats. The
         Information Presentation Component is replacing our antiquated
         computer workstations, providing an updated e-mail capability, and
         includes simple things like additional printers and scanners that
         increase productivity. This component is nearing completion.

         The Transportation Network Component is simply the
         telecommunications network consisting of high-speed connections
         linking the offices of the FBI, and the hardware, software and new
         workstations within each office to link at high speeds the entire
         FBI. It will provide connectivity between FBI facilities (via a
         WAN) and within FBI facilities (via a LAN), so that investigative
         information and analysis may be shared among agents and analysts
         easily, accurately, rapidly and securely, and at the high data
         volumes our new applications support. This is nearing completion as
         well.

         The User Application Component is replacement of user applications
         that will enhance our ability to access, organize and analyze
         information. Specifically, the Trilogy Program will migrate five
         investigative applications into a "Virtual Case File" (VCF), to
         provide user-friendly, web browser access to mission critical
         information. A web-based interface will enable our users to have a
         graphical interface with investigative information. It will
         eliminate the cumbersome aspects of our current system, greatly
         enhance our collaborative environment and go a long way towards
         eliminating the problems obvious from Hanssen and McVeigh.

         Under the FBI's old legacy investigative information system, the
         Automated Case Support (ACS), users navigate with the function keys
         instead of the point and click method common to web based
         applications. Simple tasks, such as storing an electronic version
         of a document today, require a user to perform twelve separate
         functions, in a "green screen" environment. That will soon change
         with Trilogy. Automated workflow will allow for a streamlined
         process to complete tasking. Storing a document for the record will
         occur with a click of the mouse button. This will make
         investigative and intelligence information immediately available to
         all personnel with appropriate security.

         Enhanced ad hoc reporting, online information sharing and
         state-of-the-art analytical tools will permit those conducting
         investigations and analyzing data to easily organize and filter
         events and trends. Representatives from our field offices who are
         defining the VCF user needs are also challenging current FBI
         business practices to improving workflow and to ensure that archaic
         business rules are not automated.

         Multimedia functionality will allow for the storage of information
         in its original form. Under the old system, agents cannot store
         non-compatible forms of digital evidence in an electronic format,
         instead having to describe the evidence and indicate where the
         evidence is stored in a control room. Multimedia functionality will
         facilitate electronic storage of digital evidence and media to the
         investigative case file, allowing access to the information from
         the desktop.

         Trilogy also includes an Enterprise Management System (EMS), that
         supports all three of the components of the Trilogy Program. The
         EMS will allow the FBI to configure, monitor and administer
         information systems and components through a central Enterprise
         Operations Center (EOC), with local Field Office visibility into
         the status of equipment at their location. The EMS will gather and
         provide appropriate IT system metrics for Trilogy from the
         operations center. EMS functions include mandatory and optional
         capabilities for fault, configuration, accounting, performance, and
         security management.

         The original plan for Trilogy was development and deployment over
         36 months from the date of the contract awards for the
         infrastructure and applications development, May and June 2001,
         respectively. The events of September 11, 2001 impacted many
         aspects of the FBI, including the Trilogy Program. The urgent need
         for improved information technologies prompted the Director to
         request that Trilogy implementation be accelerated, with emphasis
         on those capabilities most urgently needed to support the FBI's
         priority cases.

         In response, Congress provided additional funding and Trilogy's
         network and desktop infrastructure improvements were accelerated.
         The resulting improvements are significant.

         Infrastructure enhancements are being deployed in two phases. The
         first phase, called "Fast Track", is installation of Trilogy
         architecture at our 56 Field Office locations and as many of our
         Resident Agencies as can be completed before the second phase
         begins. This consists of new network printers, color scanners,
         local area network upgrades, desktop workstations, and Microsoft
         Office applications. By the end of April 2002, deployment at all 56
         FBI Field Offices and two Information Technology Centers (ITCs) was
         completed. Fast Track is continuing to deploy this infrastructure
         to our Resident Agencies.

         The second phase of infrastructure deployment is called "Full Site
         Capability," representing the complete infrastructure upgrade. The
         full upgrade will provide the wide area network connectivity
         together with new encryption devices to protect our data, new
         operating systems and servers, and new and improved e-mail
         capability. The WAN design also has been enhanced to eliminate
         possible single points of failure. Completion of this phase was
         moved from the accelerated date of July 2002 to March 2003 to allow
         additional time to test and deploy a secure, operational system.

         The Enterprise Operations Center (EOC) facilities, circuit and bulk
         fiber installations, electronic key management system, and
         installation of encryptors are all on schedule.

         User training on the new desktop office automation software has
         begun and a new training management system deployed.

         The UAC component is scheduled to be delivered by January 2004, or
         four months ahead of the original schedule. And although the
         Trilogy Program is accelerating the network and desktop
         infrastructure ahead of applications development, there are
         significant benefits to modernizing the infrastructure before the
         upgraded applications are available. Infrastructure enhancement
         will immediately provide FBI field offices the high-speed
         connections to link with one another (and within each office) and
         share investigative and administrative information currently
         available in their legacy systems. It will provide nearly every FBI
         employee a modern desktop, and applications and database
         productivity tools, which will significantly enhance work
         productivity.

         Further, during the interim while Trilogy UAC is under development,
         the FBI is enhancing some of our existing legacy systems to enable
         web access to certain applications. So, for example, two new
         capabilities are the Case Control system and Global Index
         Application. The Case Control system was delivered in April 2002;
         the Global Index Application was delivered in April 2001. The Case
         Control System keeps track of the location of each
         Counter-terrorism related hard copy file, as it is routed to our
         field divisions and nine scanning centers; this ensures that all
         files are scanned and accurate file locations maintained. The
         Global Index Application allows the user to search for a name, date
         of birth, address, and/or phone number, against four of our main
         investigative applications systems (ACS, IIIA, CLEA, and TA), with
         one query, returning basic case information.

         The User Application development is now planned in two increments.
         The initial VCF release will migrate data from the current
         Automated Case Support (ACS) and IntelPlus to the VCF. VCF Release
         One has a targeted completion date of December 2003. This release
         will allow different types of users, such as agents, analysts, and
         supervisors, to access information from a "dashboard" that is
         specific to their individual needs. This VCF release will also
         enhance our capability to set and track case leads, index case
         information, and move document drafts more quickly through the
         approval process, with digital signatures.

         The second release will migrate the Criminal Law Enforcement
         Application (CLEA), Integrated Intelligence Information Application
         (IIIA), and Telephone Application (TA) into the VCF. VCF Release
         Two has a targeted completion date estimated for June 2004. It will
         provide Audio/Video Streaming capability and provide our agents
         with "content management" capability. This will help them access
         information from our data warehouse, regardless of where in the
         system the information was entered. For the first time we will have
         a "one query does it all" capability.

         The VCF Team is currently using an industry-standard process called
         Joint Application Development (JAD) planning, to define and
         prioritize the users' operational requirements. By joining the
         application developers with the users (agents, analyst, and support
         personnel), applications will be built that will reflect the items
         needed by these individuals to perform their jobs. This approach
         differs from the old way of doing business: figuring out how to do
         your job with the tools you already have. JAD is not a rebuild of
         the old system. It has brought users, designers, future systems
         operators together to develop applications that are operationally
         sound and maintainable. JAD sessions started at the end of January
         this year and are expected to conclude next week. Additional JAD
         sessions will take place as part of the process for VCF Release
         Two.

         As with any automation project, a number of risks must be managed
         to a have a successful Trilogy Program deployment. The top three
         are all related to our aggressive deployment schedule. I believe
         all are manageable. They are: TNC/IPC and UAC test and acceptance;
         the enterprise operations center; and legacy system
         interoperability.

         Before we deploy our Full Site Capability infrastructure to the
         field, we need to test the desktops, servers, and networks to
         ensure that there are no problems with our final configuration. Our
         current schedule allows a tight allocation of time for testing,
         which leaves little room for resolving potential problems. To
         mitigate this risk, the test team is prioritizing requirements and
         developing a common understanding of system acceptance test
         coverage, conditions, and criteria. Once identified, the plan is to
         test the most critical aspects of the system first, and, if
         necessary, continue testing the non-critical areas during initial
         deployments.

         Our aggressive schedule also leaves little time for EOC
         preparations in support of the deployed infrastructure. To mitigate
         this risk, current available EOC staff will be trained to support
         the Trilogy infrastructure and additional external resources will
         be identified for full operational support at the start of FSC
         deployment. Finally, contractor personnel will be utilized to
         supplement government staff for network services, central systems,
         security and the data center.

         Interoperability with legacy applications is another risk area.
         There is currently a lack of documentation in place that captures
         the old legacy system functions and operations. Therefore, the UAC
         team is still identifying new interfaces and modifications to
         existing interfaces. Our schedule allocation for engineering and
         testing may not be adequate for successful integration
         infrastructure deployment with the current applications and
         servers. To mitigate this risk, the test team is also prioritizing
         these test requirements and developing a common understanding of
         system acceptance test coverage, conditions and criteria.

         Once we catch up to a standard PC environment, the future looks
         very positive. We are planning for a technology refreshment program
         (TRP) which will replace Trilogy network and workstation hardware,
         network data storage, server hardware, and embedded software on a
         periodic basis to prevent system performance degradation and rising
         O&M costs due to obsolescence. The TRP also envisions the
         incorporation of new technology as it becomes available in the
         private sector and the study of emerging technologies to evaluate
         potential future uses and benefits and to better anticipate future
         resource needs. In essence, a viable infrastructure technology
         refreshment plan is essential to maintain the benefits of the
         Trilogy investment, the efficiency and capabilities of FBI
         investigative support systems and to better plan and budget for out
         year expenditures.

         I have been asked to provide my personal perspective on what I have
         changed since reporting to the FBI this March, and how the FBI
         contrasts with my experience in the private sector.

         Before my arrival at the FBI, the Trilogy Program was overly
         focused on achieving an accelerated schedule. Although the Trilogy
         Program will still be brought in ahead of its original schedule, we
         have begun allowing for more test time to ensure we deliver a
         quality product to the field. Industry best practices recommend
         "building in quality", instead of "inspecting it in". Using quality
         standards and compliance up front will allow us to identify and
         prevent mistakes that would require expensive fixes later on down
         the line.

         Effective communications within and without the Trilogy Program is
         also essential to our success. I am in the process of developing a
         Trilogy Communications Plan that will promote effective
         communications across our business enterprise, so that valuable
         development information is not retained in pockets.

         I am also developing an integrated master schedule for the Trilogy
         Program, which will reflect the program's critical path,
         dependencies and integration tasks between our three components. We
         will constantly review this schedule to capitalize on efficiencies
         and schedule improvement opportunities.

         One of the striking differences between the private sector and the
         FBI is the Bureau's lack of a dedicated corps of acquisition
         specialists with which to plan, develop and manage large projects.
         The FBI has many talented people with some of these requisite
         skills; we have pockets of expertise in program management
         disciplines, such as financial analysis, budgeting, contract
         management and system engineering, residing in different divisions.
         However, the FBI has operated for too long without an organization
         responsible for proper development business practices, which would
         ensure that FBI systems under development are responsive to our
         users' requirements.

         Private industry and most government agencies recognize the
         advantages of instituting a project management executive with a
         project management office to manage complex, expensive, high-risk
         development efforts. According to the Gartner Group, "enterprises
         utilizing a project office to manage the growing complexity
         involved with creating or acquiring--and then implementing and
         managing--these applications have a distinct advantage over those
         that do not.". Perhaps the most frustrating experience I have had
         since coming to the FBI from private industry is trying to work
         information technology issues that cut across the FBI's
         organization. "Stove piped" communications internal to the FBI
         prevents information and communications flow that is required to be
         responsive to our users and oversight. Successful project
         development and implementation at the FBI requires constant and
         accurate communications across our entire business enterprise.

         To make this a reality, I have recommended, and Director Mueller
         has approved of the establishment of an Office of Programs
         Management. This office will develop, manage, and deploy
         high-priority, complex and high-risk projects of high dollar value,
         to successfully support the FBI's operational mission. The office
         will have a staff of subject matter experts in key program
         management functions, matrixed to development project managers.
         These project managers will be "loaned" from their sponsoring
         divisions to the Office of Program Management during the
         development of the project, from the concept phase until the
         project is ready to be transitioned to operations.

         In addition, the Office of Program Management will be charged with
         using repeatable processes for these efforts; in other words, we
         will implement a business approach to our large acquisition
         efforts, by instituting core program management disciplines from a
         project's concept phase until it is transitioned to operations and
         maintenance. We will train a skilled corps of FBI PM subject matter
         experts, and advise the FBI Director on program management and
         acquisition-planning related organizational issues, proposals, and
         strategies.

         Because of its user/management orientation, the Office of Program
         Management will be in a position to make the most informed
         recommendations concerning trade-offs between performance,
         schedule, and costs of projects, to determine the best course for
         return on the FBI's investment in IT. This office will also gauge
         the impacts of delays of delivered functionality for the field
         divisions and headquarters, and develop budget justifications for
         the acquisition of required resources to support approved systems
         projects.

         In summary, Trilogy gives the FBI workable standards and a base it
         can build upon. Trilogy is being built to allow for interchanges
         with different systems, internal and external, so that the
         historical problem of "not putting the pieces together" is no
         longer an issue. Trilogy will provide the resources and tools the
         FBI needs to support investigations and the critical building
         blocks for future improvements. The Trilogy Program is focused on
         getting these critical resources to our Special Agents and field
         support personnel as quickly as possible.

    ###