FC: Webcast of ecommerce law class at Univ of Ottawa starts today

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Wed Jan 08 2003 - 10:23:19 PST

    [Sent to a law professor mailing list to which I subscribe, and
    forwarded with permission. --Declan]

    ----- Forwarded message from Michael Geist <mgeistat_private> -----

    From: Michael Geist <mgeistat_private>
    Subject: E-commerce law workshop course 2003
    Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2003 15:19:15 -0500

    As some of you may know, I have taught an e-commerce law workshop
    course for the past few years that has had the added feature of
    web-based streaming.  The course has traditionally tracked the
    development on an e-commerce company with classes on the various
    legal issues faced along the way.

    It is now being co-taught with my colleague Jennifer Chandler and it
    kicks off tomorrow.  Rather than covering the broad range of issues
    we've addressed in the past, we've shifted to a modular framework
    that will allow for a more intense focus on four issues --
    e-contracting, privacy, jurisdiction, and financing.  Each module
    will be three weeks.  The first week will focus on substantive issues
    and will be typically be taught by either myself or Professor
    Chandler.  Week two will raise the policy and global perspective with
    discussions and analysis on what is occurring on that front.  The
    third week will zero in on the practical side of the issue with
    discussion of implementation of the law and policy.  The second and
    third classes of each module will again be staffed by a panel of
    experts from outside the law school.

    You and your students are welcome to join in live or view archives of
    prior classes.  Those interested in even further involvement are
    welcome to join the class discussion list.  The course website at
    http://www.eclw.ca provides a course schedule and information on how
    to tune/join in.  Classes run each Wednesday from 4 - 7 ET.

    MG

    Professor Michael A. Geist
    University of Ottawa Law School, Common Law Section
    Technology Counsel, Osler, Hoskin & Harcourt LLP
    57 Louis Pasteur St., P.O. Box 450, Stn. A, Ottawa, Ontario, K1N 6N5
    Tel: 613-562-5800, x3319     Fax: 613-562-5124
    mgeistat_private              http://www.lawbytes.ca