FC: Replies about what to do when an auction seller lies about you

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Wed Jul 02 2003 - 22:18:29 PDT

    revious Politech message:
    "Query about what to do when an auction seller lies about you"

    Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 12:29:44 -0400
    From: "Paul Levy" <PLEVYat_private>
    To: <weaponsrusat_private>, <politechat_private>, <declanat_private>
    Subject: Re: FC: Query about what to do when an auction seller lies about you

    The answer is simple:  Yahoo! has no LEGAL obligation to remove an
    allegedly defamatory posting that somebody has placed on its interactive
    computer service.  They may well do so, but the CDA makes it immune both
    from liability for the posting, and from liability for its failure to
    remove even after placed on notice of the allegedly defamatory nature of
    the posting.  This is very clearly established by every court to have
    considered it.  Depending on where a suit based on a theory of Yahoo!
    liability might well risk sanctions (that is, Chuck must pay Yahoo!'s
    attorney fees) depending on where  the case is filed.

    Sure, Chuck doesn't want to waste time suing the actual poster because
    who knows whether that individual has the assets to pay damages; he
    wants to sue the deep pocket.  But the CDA protects Yahoo! regardless
    that it is one of Declan's faithful subscribers who is the plaintiff and
    regardless of the fact, which I assume for the purpose of this response,
    that Chuck is pure as the driven snow and the proof he has sent Yahoo!
    is irrefutable.

    Paul Alan Levy
    Public Citizen Litigation Group
    1600 - 20th Street, N.W.