FC: Reply to Hugh Prestwood and RIAA suing individual P2P users

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Mon Sep 08 2003 - 22:28:36 PDT

    [Hugh Prestwood (http://www.hughprestwood.com/bio.htm) is a country
    songwriter  who has worked with many famous singers including Judy Collins.
    --Declan]

    ---

    Subject: Re: FC: RIAA finally acts: Sues individual P2P users
    From: jason <jaegnerat_private>
    To: Declan McCullagh <declanat_private>
    Date: 08 Sep 2003 21:24:43 -0400

    Declan,

    I'd like to respond to Hugh Prestwood personally and the rest of the
    recording industry reps generally.

    First of all, know this:  I have never used any P2P application. But if
    you want me to sign an affidavit attesting my innocence, you can get
    bent.

    Given that, and given my great respect for Hugh I can't help but address
    his points in order to demonstrate what is really wrong here:

    "What is becoming increasingly clear is that the great majority of you
    truly feel no guilt about the "sharing" of what I have created and own
    -- my music."

    --No, Hugh.  What is becoming increasingly clear is that you're wanting
    to over-own your creation for far too long.  Copyright is us giving you
    a monopoly for a limited time.  It's certainly not us giving you (and
    your kids...and their grandkids) a monopoly in perpetuity.

    "You have lumped together many professions  artists, songwriters,
    engineers, producers, publishers, etc. into one big ugly corporate
    caricature -- a rich and corrupt industry that can be stolen from
    remorselessly."

    --Again, I don't believe that's the case.  I believe that the action of
    "lumping together [of] many professions" has been done by the RIAA.  If
    you don't like the backlash, perhaps you should focus your ire upon the
    organization that claims to represent you to the public.

    "Moreover, you have unfairly condemned me and my record industry peers
    for bringing the law to bear against you.  In classic "blame the victim"
    reasoning, you lay the responsibility for my losses at my feet, saying,
    in essence, that the problem is not your theft, but rather my inability
    to prevent it."

    --See above...it is folly to expect the public to embrace extortion in
    the name of art.  It is even more incredulous that you and your record
    industry peers are alienating those who might become your best
    customers...especially considering the fact that file hosts can migrate
    from country to country.  And, please, PROVE YOUR LOSS!  Don't cry on my
    shoulder about how the "evil pirates" are "taking bread from your table"
    until you can prove the theft.

    "Well, file-sharers, I righteously say "bull."  I,
    songwriter/publisher,labored for years to create those songs, and I
    really do legally own them."

    --Finally, a glimpse of the arrogance that promulgates this debate.
    Hugh, you're right.  You worked your ass off on those songs, but the
    only reason you "really do legally own them" is because we, the people,
    at one time respected your work because we had the expectation that we
    would be able to expound upon your work one day (within our lifetime)
    without paying you for that opportunity.  When it was asserted that your
    ownership of your songs lasted beyond your lifetime, it cut into the
    public domain.  And you have the nerve to be offended that your
    great-great-great grandchildren might not be able to own and capitalize
    on your ideas?  Heaven forbid they have an idea of their own.  :)

    "I  not you -- have the right to control what happens to them, a right
    your technology does not trump."

    --This assertion is being proven wrong today.  Your right used to be
    able to trump technology.  That is no longer the case.

    Let us come together.  You often love what I create, and I need to make
    a living.  I have been trying for several years now to find a way for us
    both to be happy  where you can easily acquire my songs and I can be
    justly rewarded for my creativity.  Try as I might, however, thus far I
    have been unable to find a way to compete with "free".  You must help
    me.

    --Absolutely.  I want to reward your talent and keep bread on your table
    because I love your music.  But sueing your fans/customers?  Wouldn't it
    help if the RIAA were able to prove the FUD they've been feeding
    everybody?  I believe that it's highly probable that this "piracy" that
    is so despicable to the entertainment distribution cartels might
    actually be a boon to society as a whole.

    Get a clue, Hugh.  We're not consumers anymore.

    --Jason