[Politech] A worried reply to Bush's electronic med record scheme [priv]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Mon May 17 2004 - 20:58:36 PDT

    Subject: OMIT EMAIL Re: [Politech] Privacy villain of the week: Bush's
    electronic medical record scheme [priv]
    Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 18:46:20 -0400
    From: Leah G
    To: Declan McCullagh <declan@private>

    Declan,

    I hope this scares you.  It certainly scares me.  I can see people
    refusing to obtain medical care for all sorts of diseases and disorders
    if the information is to be digitized.  People are sensitive about many
    things, including sexual disfunction, cancer, genetic disorders and
    tests for potentially developing them, and a plethora of reasons.  How
    horrible to contemplate your most personal discussions with your
    physician being accessible to anyone with alleged credentials.  It
    negates doctor/patient confidentiality.  Would you wish to confide to
    your doctor if you knew the information was accessible in this manner?
    People are already making decisions to not communicate with their
    doctors because the information may get to insurance companies and
    government agencies, never mind other people who might just be
    interested.  My cholesteral and your PSA results should be private,
    don't you think?

    Regards,

    --
    Leah G.