[Politech] Ray Everett-Church replies to John Gilmore: "Cry me a river" [sp]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Mon May 17 2004 - 20:59:34 PDT

    Subject: RE: [Politech] John Gilmore on Feinstein not accepting email [sp]
    Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 11:49:41 -0700
    From: Ray Everett-Church <lists@private>
    To: 'Declan McCullagh' <declan@private>

    Declan:

    With all due respect, cry me a river. Her office does absolutely accept
    electronic communications, just not in the form some might wish to
    provide. I'm
    sure her office doesn't accept messages via sky-writing, semaphore, or
    singing
    stripper-grams either. But citing a web-based communications system as
    evidence
    she doesn't want to communicate? That's just batty. The fact that she
    doesn't
    accept the particular conveyance you prefer is no excuse to go off the
    deep end.

    The reality, of course, is that she's doing exactly as thousands of other
    governmental entities, businesses, and other organizations: forcing
    those who
    which to correspond electronically to do so in a manner that mitigates
    risks and
    enhances the ability to manage the flood. With the advent of automated
    "Astroturf"-style advocacy organizations that blanket of every Member of
    Congress with megabytes of emails, offices are often inundated with emails
    generated by individuals who are not within their state or voting district.

    While one would hope that a Senator from Georgia would care what a
    citizen in
    Oregon thinks, the reality is that congressional offices are pretty lightly
    staffed as compared with your typical major corporation. Prioritization and
    focus are required. As her constituent, I'm much happier that her office
    uses a
    web-form to manage correspondence than the old methods I experienced when I
    worked on the Hill many moons ago. If this helps her focus on *my*
    communications, and those of my fellow constituents, and allows her to
    blow off
    the Astroturf and harassing cranks, bully for her.

    Meanwhile, when I desire to communicate with my elected officials, I send
    letters, faxes, or pick up the phone. I can almost always get right
    through to
    whichever staffer specializes in the issue I'm concerned about. In fact,
    if you
    are offering detailed and substantive feedback, I frequently find the
    relevant
    staffers eager to have reasoned conversations about particular pieces of
    legislation. I encourage everyone to use the communications venues that
    *are*
    available, rather than cursing the ones that aren't. Of course, there will
    always be some who find it better to set their hair on fire than curse the
    darkness, eh? ;)

    -Ray