RE: Password Hiding

From: Dimitris Petropoulos (D.Petropoulos@encode-sec.com)
Date: Tue Jul 29 2003 - 23:32:26 PDT

    Pablo,

    I can see two options regarding this:

    1. Hardcode the password in the application source code. This makes it slightly more difficult to find (assuming one makes the effort to hide it a bit better rather than having a single string with the password that can be found with any hex editor) but each time you need to change the password you'd need to change the source code.
    2. Save the password in a configuration file and let the application pick it up from there. The permissions on the configuration file should be such that only the application can access it. Needless to say this scheme does not prevent administrators, etc. from accessing the password and also assumes good physical security for the box the application is deployed on.

    Best regards,

    -----------------------
    Dimitrios Petropoulos
    MSc InfoSec, CISSP

    Director, Security Research & Development

    ENCODE S.A.
    3, R.Melodou Str
    151 25 Marousi
    Athens, Greece
    Tel: +30210-6178410
    Fax: +30210-6109579
    web: www.encode-sec.com

    individual sender, except where the sender specifically
    states them to be the views of ENCODE S.A.