Re: Job question.

From: Marc Esipovich (marcat_private)
Date: Wed Feb 16 2000 - 18:00:37 PST

    > To know security very well, you have to know networking very well.
    Security is a board field and networking is a broad field, if you're
    talking about networking with emphasis on security, that's something else.

    > I've been
    > in the industry for a while, mostly in the financial aspect, and while you
    > may have a degree, they'd rather have practical experience. You may have to
    > start out with some practical experience as a network engineer. Breaking
    > into a system doesn't mean you know anything about security, a script can do
    > that.

    You're right, people do tend to go for the skilled/experienced people
    rather than educated and not-so-experienced.  people want results.

    He didn't say he used a script to do that he did, maybe he has written his
    own private exploits ?

    > If you want to prove you can do something, you sometimes have to prove
    > that you've either done it (in a REAL working environment) or that you've
    > done something comparable or lesser and have a certification in what you're
    > looking to do.

    Getting a certification can be rather costly and a long process,  people
    don't always just looks at certs,  in a job interview, some even ignore
    certs and go directly asking about technical skills.

    > They don't hire people because they SAY they can do something, if so, i'd be
    > President.

    In your case, what you need to do is something like the following,
    you may start working as a network or general administrator at a company,
    (you have some degree of security skills, enough to notice the security
    where you work "stinks"),  so, you're taking the initiative to go around
    and fix things,  write up a report, show it to your boss,  so he'll know
    he's dealing with something more than just a talanted administrator, if
    you've done a good job and the boss is impressed, with a bit of luck
    you'll be incharge of security in your organization, on top of your
    administrative duties.  it's as simple as that.

    Or, if you have some good idea you may start your own open-source project,
    or actively help in an ongoing project, something to add up to your
    resume,  but that's a more demanding, long process.

    BTW, I have seen people looking for junior/entry level security people on
    this list, look through the archives.

            Marc Esipovich.

    ---
    root is only a few clicks away...