Re: Job question.

From: Robyn Pretzloff (pretrat_private)
Date: Wed Feb 16 2000 - 14:02:30 PST

    All,

    I have a question that is somewhat similar to Jason's but not really. I'm
    actually very pleased that he asked his question because I now feel that I
    can ask my own question that has gone unanswered for some time now.

    Are all of the security jobs out there ones where the candidate must have
    either a comp sci degree or the equivalent? My undergraduate degree is in
    English but I worked for 18 months in the insurance industry as an
    underwriter for personal property and casualty lines. I'm almost finished
    with my Masters of Information Science degree. I've taken networking
    classes and understand most networking concepts. I've taken some beginning
    programming classes. I've taken some systems administration classes. I've
    also taken a special topics Info Security course.

    I find Information Security fascinating. Perhaps it's the side of me that
    enjoyed trying to stop fraud back when I worked in
    insurance. Unfortunately, I am not technically skilled enough for any of
    the security jobs I've seen posted here or on other online venues.

    Now I know that there are jobs with titles such as Business Analyst out
    there where one can serve as a liaison between the hard core techs and the
    mainstream users in an organization. I believe a Business Analyst can also
    serve as a member of a team in application development or
    maintenance. However, are there similar roles in information
    security? Perhaps a Computer Risk Management/Analyst role?

    I'd really like to know. I may not be able to become a truly hard core
    tech person but I believe I could do some more risk management, security
    planning, and security strategies type of roles. As information itself
    continues to be seen as the most important commodity in our economy, I am
    sure that information security will become extremely important as
    well. Surely, there is (or will be) room in the field for people with my
    kind of qualifications.

    Any information or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks very much for your time.

    Robyn Pretzloff
    SILS Computer Lab Co-Manager
    Graduate Assistant/Graduate Student
    School of Information & Library Science
    University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
    Reality is the leading cause of stress
    among those who are in touch with it.
    --Jane Wagner