Re: Network Security

From: Masongsong, Manny (Manny_Masongsongat_private)
Date: Thu Apr 26 2001 - 09:43:26 PDT

    Here's my 2 cents worth.

    I have a Bachelors of Science Degree in Physics which I probably did not
    deserve. I practically begged the university to give me the degree because I
    think I failed my finals.

    Upon graduation, I immediately found work, not in any physics lab, but as a
    computer operator for America's largest oil corporation. Then I became a
    programmer, an analyst, a team leader, an operating systems programmer,
    fulltime college instructor (computer information systems certificate
    program), a systems security analyst and finally, Data Security Officer and
    Manager. That's over an IT career that spans 27 years since my graduation. I
    established the security framework for two Canadian banks, was the IT
    security officer at a national stock exchange company and now, I'm
    establishing a security framework for the country's largest independent
    (non-bank owned) stock brokerage house. I also was participant in setting
    national security standards for the country's shared-ATM network, bank
    settlement system and other national inter-bank access. I have obtained all
    the above jobs with no related degree or formal training in Computer
    Science. However, each of the job descriptions required a minimum of a
    college certificate or a university degree.

    I'm not sure, but I think my degree, although non-computer related, helped
    in meeting some minimum requirements. I agree though, that the important
    thing is convincing future employers that you can do the job. You have to
    show that you have the "required experience" and understanding and
    appreciation of all the issues important in the field.

    As far as professional certifications, I don't have any except a training
    certificate from the Royal Canadian Mounted Police and a number of vendor
    specific security training certificates in AS400, Tandem, DEC, IBM
    mainframe, etc.. I was offered  grandfathered certification for CISSP in
    1995, but I was too busy traveling around the world as a Senior Technical
    Instructor for a software company and could not find time to respond. Now, I
    have to take the exam to get it. However, I've always found a job without
    this certification. I'm sure it would help a lot, but I think with
    everything being equal, many companies will still value many years of
    experience over a piece of paper.

    Thanks.

    Manny