Re: Network Security, degree or not degree

From: Ann Archibald (aarchat_private)
Date: Fri Apr 27 2001 - 09:27:02 PDT

    Charles, and others,

    Crispin's evaluation is pretty much on the money.  There are jobs available
    for all.  It's just a matter of believing that, and going after them.

    I have a bachelor's degree in History and Philosophy, which was useful once
    I got my Masters of Science in Computer Science, because it intrigued
    potential employers into wanting an interview.

    The formal degree shows a lot more than being able to take tests.  It
    shows, also, a certain level of tenacity.  Read Manny Masongsong's story,
    and you begin to see.  What is going to stop this guy from getting what he
    needs?  Not much.  The degree means you're willing to put in four or more
    years to get what you need to get ahead in this world.  That may (or may
    not) somewhat predict where you will be at 5 p.m. when the end of the day
    arrives but the job still has to be done.

    In terms of getting the job in the first place, it depends on what the
    personnel requisition says, and what industry interests you.  In Govt.
    contracts, for instance, almost every request for proposal describes the
    labor categories required for the proposal, and all but the most junior ot
    those usually specify a degree.  They will accept "equivalent experience",
    but it's hard to write a proposal to show that, so many tech managers will
    tell their human resources people to screen the resumes--don't even bother
    showing me anything unless they have a degree of some sort from a reputable
    university.  There are even programs that will now do that for you.

    That does not mean you need a degree to get a job, even a "good" job.  It
    just means that without it, your options are more limited than they would
    be with the degree.

    Quit looking for the one true answer.  There aren't any in life.  Figure
    out what you're doing wrong in the interview, or if you're just applying
    for the wrong jobs for what you can offer, and correct that and you'll be
    fine.

    Ann Archibald
    Merdan Group, Inc.
    San Diego, CA

    Crispin Cowan <crispinat_private> on 04/26/2001 03:39:40 PM

    Please respond to crispinat_private