Network Security, degree or not degree

From: Forman, Justin (Justin)** CTR ** (jformanat_private)
Date: Thu Apr 26 2001 - 08:04:47 PDT

    I don't think so.

    A great many people seem to tout the benefits of a degree. I agree that an
    in-depth, well-rounded education is useful. But two things: I don't believe
    a degree is the only way to obtain it, and I don't believe a degree is
    necessary to go where you (and incidentally I) want to go.

    So far, I've seen degrees help people become managers faster, but I'm not
    interested in that.

    Many security experts simply love technology and thus come to know it really
    well. I haven't heard of many college curriculums (though the scene is
    changing) that will take you to that level. However, I have heard of
    conferences, educational events, independent training, and a great deal of
    self-exploration options that will. Watch this and other related threads,
    and you'll find out what's required to get into the security field, and it
    doesn't have to include a degree.

    On the other hand, if that's what you're committed to, go for it.

    One more thing: If  CCNP hasn't advanced your career in your current
    company, get your resume out there now! There are plenty of companies
    utilizing people with your skills and knowledge. Join one who appreciates
    you.