Re: Changes to the Info Sec Marketplace ??

From: Gallicchio, Florindo (2007) (florindo.gallicchioat_private)
Date: Wed May 02 2001 - 04:59:04 PDT

    Ah, a topic that hits dear to my heart!  This is a bit long...

    We have experienced a drop in info sec business in the past two months,
    primarily due to the market, but I suspect it's only temporary.  Wall Street
    analysts are saying that the down market should last only through the second
    quarter, and will pick up again in the third quarter.  I'm already starting
    to see some activity pick up again.

    As for the job market, I've noticed that hiring hasn't frozen, but it has
    slowed a bit.  If anything, the level of salaries being offered have come
    down a bit, but if you're resilient enough (and worth the money you think
    you are), you'll eventually get what you want.  If you're an independent
    contractor, you're in luck - I'm seeing more of a demand for them than
    before.  I see direct evidence from speaking with hiring managers that
    consultants will play a much bigger role in corporate security, and it's
    already begun.  Thank God!

    I think you'll definitely see consolidation in the marketplace.  Pure-play
    security product vendors, with some obvious exceptions, can't last on their
    own if they sell nothing but product.  Wall Street values services over
    product, and assigns a higher multiple to a company's valuation.  Therefore,
    product vendors will either have to have the next best thing that everyone
    needs and wants, enter the security services market (which is growing very
    quickly), or consolidate with a company with higher margins (among other
    factors).  Keep in mind that security products don't solve security
    problems, but people (processes, procedures, policies, audits, etc.) do.
    Security services will always be needed.  ISS is a great example of the need
    to adopt a professional services component to remain competitive.

    I'd recommend that if you're looking to change jobs, stay where you are for
    a bit longer and do your homework thoroughly.  That means more than looking
    at the job sites (Monster, etc.).  Talk to consultants (independent and
    company), read the relevant magazines (CIO, ComputerWorld, etc.), and speak
    to reputable headhunters (there really are a few out there).  If you're
    considering a particular company, read their financials (10K, 10Q, etc.),
    which should be posted on their Web site (or linked to from their Web site).
    Treat a new job opportunity as you would a contractor.  Make sure you
    interview them as much as you're interviewed.

    Florindo