Re: Destruction of Reputations

From: Galitz (galitzat_private)
Date: Wed Jul 11 2001 - 18:35:55 PDT

    Being on the other end of the coin (at a previous
    company we hired someone we shouldn't have, and a
    proper background check would have clued us in)
    it comes down to the applicant setting the expection
    on the part of the employer.

    Obviously since we do not have the details of whatever
    potential incident occured we can only speak hypothetically,
    but I would think the applicant could always work it into
    the interview "as something I've learned from."

    Employers, potential or not, are amazingly tolerant
    of a wide array of behavior and outcomes.  The only
    thing that really freaks out employers is being blind-sided.

    I run a small operation here, and the only thing I am
    not able to deal with in my capacity as a manager, are
    events I am not already aware of.  There is nothing
    more terrifying than that.

    -geoff

    Jon St Arnaud wrote:

    > A friend of mine asked:
    >
    > "Have you talked with any experts in this field on how to deal with
    > reputation destruction for whistle blowing and about finding the next job
    > after?"
    >
    > Well I haven't blown any whistle nor do intend to (or should I) but the
    > destruction of my reputation from a company I worked for is pretty clear.
    > Any possible employer checking my work history that contacts them stops
    > calling or returning phone calls or emails...
    >
    > So has anyone ever dealt with this?

    > Free email with personality! Over 200 domains!
    > http://www.MyOwnEmail.com

    Geoff Galitz                    | "If we treat each other like animals,
    Research Computing, UC Berkeley |  is it easier to forgive?"
    galitzat_private      |  Hark Tsui and Koan Hui - Tide and
    Time