RE: Destruction of Reputations

From: Spencer, Ed M. -ND (Ed.M.Spencer.-NDat_private)
Date: Thu Jul 12 2001 - 07:08:10 PDT

    Wow... Character assassination - that's usually the worst kind.

    You can start with a couple different things.  First you need to know what's
    being said about you.  You can do this by having a friend pose as a hiring
    manager and call on your work history.

    Once you know what's being said you can try to counter it.  In many states
    they are limited as to what information they can provide.  Usually the only
    information that can be provided is dates of employment, title, job
    description, compensation, and eligibility for re-hire (answered with yes,
    or no).  If they are actively engaged in providing false or misleading
    information you can simply ask them to stop.  If they continue talk with a
    lawyer to apply a little more 'pressure'.

    If the above is impractical you can try other ways to 'bury' the single job
    in your resume.  If you were there only a short period of time don't put it
    in your work history or bury it on a second page by reformatting your
    resume.  Many employers only glance at the second page of a resume so
    anything you want to hide should be there (i.e. I put education on the back
    page because I lack a degree - a weakness for some employment opportunities)
    If you work for a contracting company you can list the company you
    contracted with as the employer instead of the end organization.  You can
    also mark that they are not to contact your 'current' employer on the
    application.  If you're no longer there you can provide information about
    why you left like, difference in opinion regarding the direction of the
    company, the company down-sized/right-sized/felt the recent crunch in stock
    prices, and many other ways.  Personality conflict can be used, but be
    careful.  You need to present actual examples of the conflict in a good
    light.  'I prefer a management style where I am provided a goal and pointed
    in that direction, and my former management preferred micro-management of
    every task.  There was a project where...'  Again, be careful, you want to
    present differences in opinion or management style, not ill-will towards
    your former employer.

    Keep in mind, most of this is just minor omission of details, and attempting
    to put yourself in the best light.  Just remember be careful how you present
    yourself on your resume/application and make damn sure you're a model
    employee on your new job.

    Lastly, work through a contracting company.  Be up front with them when you
    look for work including your recent 'issues'.  Contracting companies often
    have more lax hiring policies and can often put you into a company that can
    jump start your career again.   Often the contracts roll to permanent
    positions after 6 months or so.

    Keep in mind that if you were escorted off the property in handcuffs and
    charged with a crime all of this is may be moot, especially if you were
    convicted.  A simple check with the police regarding your criminal record
    and they'll see your conviction (a common hiring practice by many companies
    now).  Depending on what it was could make it very hard to obtain employment
    of any kind, especially in the computer industry.  (Theft, crimes against
    persons, etc.)

    I've not personally used any of these methods, but they have worked for
    people I've worked with in the past (and my ex-wife).  Careful choice of
    words, and some REALLY good references (especially work related) can help to
    counter the problem.

    Good luck!
    Ed Spencer
    MCSE/MCT/CNA/A+/Network+
    Security Analyst - IS Security
    Renaissance Worldwide, Inc. - Walt Disney World

    This communication is confidential, intended only for the named recipient(s)
    above and may contain trade secrets or other information that is exempt from
    disclosure under applicable law.  Any use, dissemination, distribution or
    copying of this communication by anyone other than the named recipient(s) is
    please immediately notify us by calling (407) 566-5195.  The ideas,
    opinions, and information expressed within the above email are the express
    sole opinion of the author and are not the opinion of the Walt Disney World
    Corporation.  Thank you.