RE: advice please

From: Anton J Aylward, CISSP (ajaat_private)
Date: Thu Jul 12 2001 - 17:04:41 PDT

    Let me speak from both my experience as a manager
    doing the recruiting and as an applicant.

    First, its not the applicant who pays the head-hunter.
    Keep that in mind at all times.

    Second, there are a variety of managers.  I'll expound
    on that in a moment in more detail.

    Thirdly, in most organisations, the manager submits a
    request to HR and HR deals with the Head-hunter.  You
    may not get to the manager until and unless you have
    satisfied the HR department.

    OK, lets get HR out of the way first.  There is one of
    these 'conspiracies that isn't a conspiracy' with HR.
    Its back, as people earlier in this thread said, to
    accountability.  The HR contact isn't the manager, and
    the HR contact probably believes that they are trying to
    relieve the manager of the hassle involved in finding a
    suitable candidate.  But remember, the HR contact is not
    the manager, and has interpreted and translated the
    manager's request and requirements, adding the legalese
    and boilerplate.

    Now I've been told by many managers, both at interviews
    and at bull-sessions, that this output that the
    Head-hunter then gets is pretty far removed from the
    original.  Just last month a manager at a local bank
    showed me the side-by-side and only a couple of phrases
    made it though without mangling.

    But there is a very obvious aspect to the pseudo-
    conspiracy that gives the game away.  You know how so
    many adverts have the boilerplate about 'good command
    of written and spoken English' or something to that
    effect.  Well why do they demand bullet-list format with
    the awkward and poor English that entails?   I've tried
    submitting resumes with excellent prose and they just
    get handed back with instructions to 'add bullets'.

    I suspect many managers have been brainwashed into this
    as well.  YMMV.  Some know the system is screwed up,
    others believe in it.

    And one page resumes?  That's another con-job on the
    HR/HH side.   As a manager I'm interested in one and
    only one resume, that of the right candidate.  The job
    that HR and the HH are supposed to be doing is relieving
    me of the 'filtering'.  So why do I get a stack of 40
    resumes over a period of the month?  If I have to wade
    though this I may as well wade though a single 40-page
    resume from the right candidate that makes it quite clear
    that he is the right candidate.  Why should I, as a
    manager, waste my time wading though that stack of
    resumes and interviewing people who aren't suitable - but
    I didn't know that because their resumes were so brief as
    to be uninformative.

    Speaking as a manager, all this that HR and the HH are doing
    is adding up to make me pretty pissed off with this process.
    This could be why I hire predominantly on personal recommendation
    and people I meet at conferences, trade shows and professional
    presentations.  If I hear someone ask biting questions at a
    presentation I usually find out a bit more about them.

    Again, speaking as a manager, I have pretty short shrift with
    people that call or write to me directly, usually because it
    happens at the wrong time.  I don't normally keep those letters;
    I've found when I do need those people they have some other job.
    But that being said, I've had some great successes with this
    technique.  The thing is that its completely different from the
    HR/HH approach.  If you're going to do it, don't send a resume.

    Why not? Well, the HR/HH cycle at least has some form of job
    description and your resume should match that.  Sending in an
    unsolicited application you don't have that.  What you are doing
    is a sales solicitation. You should think of it as such, since
    you need to do something the head-hunters don't seem to, and that
    is come in to do a 'needs analysis' and hence present me with a
    proposal.  In this mode you are answering my implicit question
    "What can you do for me today?"  A resume only tells me what
    you did for someone else years ago.  It is asking me to speculate
    on whether any of that is relevant to what I'm doing today.

    Now in a more static environment, with more traditional jobs, a resume
    that is implying you can do something for me that is essentially what
    you did for someone else makes sense.  If I'm looking for an architect
    or interior designer, their portfolio tells me a lot.  But I personally,
    as a manager hiring people in an innovative and fast moving business,
    am not looking for someone to replicate what they've already done, never
    mind the possible legal issues.   Resumes are backward looking documents.
    I'm trying to hire forward looking people.

    If you're going to try the direct route, then there are two books you
    absolutely MUST read, no question about it.

    1. "Throw away your resume"

    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0812093348/qid=994981171/sr=1-2/re
    f=sc_b_2/102-4723666-6217742

    2. "Spin selling"

    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0070511136/qid=994981258/sr=1-1/re
    f=sc_b_1/102-4723666-6217742

    Now I know a lot of people are going to argue with me.  But think
    about some of this.  You're being asked to describe yourself in
    a one page bullet list with a WOW-factor because the manager doesn't
    have time to wade though the resumes, but the HR/HH people are going to
    send him many, many of these one-page things...  What's wrong with this
    picture?

    This is a fast forward profession but your resume is backward looking?
    What's wrong with this picture?

    I don't know about you, but I rate writing resumes somewhat lower than
    having a root canal.  I've had them professionally written and I've had
    HHs write the resume for me, knowing the firm and the HR person.  Neither
    seem to make things any better.   What's wrong with this picture?

    So if you get screwed around by the people involved in recruiting, don't
    have a cow.  Its the way the system works, its what it has evolved into.
    No wonder so many of us set up on our own or prefer working for small
    start-ups that don't have all the HR/HH interaction.

    Anton J Aylward
    "Life is a tragedy for those who feel, and a comedy for those who
    think." - Jean de La Bruyère

    PS: Don't ask me now, like so many other firms in this peculiar
    economy, we're not hiring.  Try this time next year, but I'll
    probably have moved by then ;-)