My Resume and Cover Letter

From: Carsten Goebels (carstenat_private)
Date: Tue Sep 04 2001 - 11:27:00 PDT

    Dear Madam or Sir,

    I am looking for a full-time position anywhere within the United States, starting
    in May of 2002. I am currently enrolled at Mary Washington College in Fredericksburg,
    Virginia and I expect to graduate with a degree in Computer Science in May of 2002.
    As I have previously worked as a Network Analyst and Administrator, I would specifically
    like to pursue a position in these areas, preferably with a focus on network security or
    IT consulting. However, I am also open to other positions, which would allow me to learn
    and encompass new areas of the information security field. Please note that I am a German
    citizen and therefore require sponsorship to work in the United States. I have included my
    resume at the end of this email, but please feel free to contact me if you would like to
    obtain my resume in a different format.
    Thank you for your time and consideration and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

    Sincerely,
    Carsten Goebels

    Carsten Goebels - CCNA
    MWC # 2052
    1701 College Avenue
    Fredericksburg, VA 22401
    Phone: (540) 361-1664
    E-mail: carstenat_private

    Objective

    To obtain a position that challenges my current skills while offering the opportunity for
    continuos career advancement in the area of IT consulting, network administration or network
    security.

    Education

    B.S. Computer Science            Mary Washington College, Fredericksburg, VA            May 2002

    *	Cumulative / major GPA : 3.87 / 4.0
    *	Presidents List Spring 2001, Fall 2000, Spring 1999
    *	Deans List Fall 1999, Spring 2000

    Work Experience

    Network Analyst, Network Services, Mary Washington College   Fredericksburg, VA   2000 - present

    *     Provided evening and weekend support for the entire network, including servers,
          routers and switches
    *     Planned, installed and maintained live Web-cams as well as their user interface
    *     Maintained software & hardware

    Computer Lab Aide, CPSC Department, Mary Washington College  Fredericksburg, VA   1999 - 2000

    *	Redesigned the departmental Web pages
    *	Planned, installed and maintained a Windows NT Domain in the primary computer lab
    *	Created and implemented security policies
    *	Planned and installed MOUS certification environment
    *	Maintained software & hardware
    *	Helped computer lab users

    Goebels & Partner (Tax Counseling Company)                   Winsen, Germany      1992 - present

    *	Developed, installed, documented,  administrated and upgraded network solutions available
          24/7 for local and dial-in access utilizing Novell 3.X, Novell 4.X, Windows NT 4.0
    *	Created and implemented security policies
    *	Complete maintenance of software & hardware
    *	Performed user training (DATEV, Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Windows NT, Novell)
    *	Conducted Y2K testing of the complete network software and hardware

    Apotheke des KKH Winsen (Hospital Pharmacy)                  Winsen, Germany      1997 - 1998

    *	Developed and administrated an internet connection
    *	Performed user training (usage of the internet, information search strategies,
          internet security)
    *	Managed the just-in-time infusion-stock for four hospitals
    *	Produced small amounts of individual medications and performed other diverse
          laboratory tasks
    *	Prepared diverse presentations and papers

    EDV-Systemtechnik M.-O. Sartissohn (Network Development)     Lüneburg, Germany    1995

    *	Installed computer and network hardware and software solutions to effectively
          fit the needs of the customer
    *	Troubleshot computer and network hardware and software
    *	Handled sales transactions and advised customers

    Certifications

    *	Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA), July 2001- present

    Skills

    Computer related:

    *	Languages: HTML, JavaScript, Perl, C++, ADA 95, Pascal, Assembly, CDL
    *	Platforms: MS-DOS, Windows NT, 2000, ME, 9X (User, Administrator),
                     Novell 3.X, 4.X, 5.X (User, Administrator), HP-UX (User),
                     Sun Solaris 2.7 Intel Platform (User), Mac-OS (User)
    *	Programs : Netxray, DATEV, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Word, Microsoft PowerPoint,
                     Adobe PhotoShop, SPSS, Rational Rose, Digital Works
    *	Other    : Cisco routers and switches, TCP/IP, IPX, PPP, SQL, hardware and
                     software troubleshooting

    Languages:

    *     Fluent in English and German

    Honors and Activities

    *	Alpha Phi Sigma, National Criminal Justice Honor Society, Spring 2001
    *	The National Society of Collegiate Scholars, Spring 2000
    *	Chi Beta Phi, National Scientific Honorary Society, Spring 2000
    *	Member of the Mary Washington College German Club and the German Community, 1999 - present
    *	Publicity Chair of the German Club and Community, 1999 - 2001
    *	Project Leader, Web-page Designer and User Interface Developer for C.E.G.K., Fall 2000