RE: How does one look for a job when gainfully employed?

From: Ed Spencer (espencerat_private)
Date: Tue Nov 20 2001 - 22:24:42 PST

    Gainfully employed or not, I look at the opportunities available to me
    every 6-8 months.  I ask for a big pay increase (10% or more) and apply
    only for positions that I find incredibly interesting.  This lets me
    know what the market is like, what the current pay rates are, and if I'm
    still marketable.  This keeps my skills up to date, and marketable (yes,
    they are different things) by letting me know what skills are being
    requested and sometimes determine trends in skills.  What's the worst
    thing that could happen?  You get offered a better job that pays more
    money?

    If you're simply wanting to prepare for the potential layoff without
    actually persuing work I would recommend a completely different
    approach.

    1. Update your resume.  Trust me, it will need updating.

    2. Talk to some recruiters and build a relationship.  Be honest, tell
    them you are in the market to test the waters.  Let them know if they
    find something really great to let you know.

    3. Talk with others in the industry.  Word of mouth is one of the best
    ways to find work.  Tell friends you're interested in opportunities that
    are out there.  Be honest about why you are looking (potential layoffs,
    nervous about the economy, etc.) and ask for discretion.

    4. Look on the usual job boards (monster, careerbuilder, yahoo jobs,
    brainbuzz, wantedjobs, etc) and look at opportunities that interest you.
    See what they are paying.  Get more information on the job openings if
    you can to determine skills that are most needed.

    5. Be prepared to explain to your employer why you are looking for work.
    They may not find out, but be prepared nonetheless.  Depending on your
    supervisor's mentality you may even want to let them know that you are
    concerned about your 'job security' (if there is such a thing) with the
    recent events.  Researching marketability is one way to explain your
    search.  No matter your response, be prepared to explain your actions.

    In the event you get offered a better job, for more money consider
    taking it.  I learned long ago that job security is a delusion.

    Good luck!
    Ed Spencer
    MCSE/MCT/CNA/MCP/A+/Network+