Re: Article: Study Says Security Expertise In Short Supply

From: Emerson (etat_private)
Date: Wed Nov 28 2001 - 17:14:31 PST

    At 10:20 27/11/2001 -0800, Jay D. Dyson wrote:

    >On Tue, 27 Nov 2001, Meritt James wrote:
    >
    >> "According to a recent report from online certification company
    >> Brainbench, disaster-recovery and network-security skills are
    >> scarce within the IT workforce."
    >>
    >> Full article at
    >> http://www.informationweek.com/story/IWK20011121S0015
    >
    >	Could have fooled me with the scarcity of such jobs in the Los
    >Angeles area.  (There seems to be a wealth of such opportunities on
    >the East Coast, but my wife's work is in support of the DoD and thus
    >I'm effectively tied to the L.A. area.)
    >
    >	I'm serious.  I've been managing with part-time security advisory
    >work for NASA coupled with independent consulting gigs (following
    >the massive RIF at OneSecure in July), and I have yet to find a
    >company that isn't in the throes of downsizing (if not outright
    >eliminating) any and every computer and network security department
    >they have.  This makes for some pretty thin job opportunities.
    >
    >	Someone please provide information to the contrary if they think
    >I'm wrong.  :)

    Jay, Fellow underemployed,

    I must say things are looking grim in the west of canada too. We seem
    to be in a bit of a recession and there seems to be little sign of
    the technology sector picking up in the next few months. Most
    postions appear to be in the east, and require security clearance.
    This is the kiss of death for those of us who are here on working
    visas, as we are not elgible for security clearance.

    Consequently many of my fellow ex-patriots have been heading to the
    respective homes to wait this one out, and I myself am planning on
    heading back to the UK for at least 3 months until the situation here
    improves enough that I may return.

    I also think part of the problem is that most of the people on the
    list who seem to be afflicted by prolonged problems have not enough
    experience to go for the scarce VP/C/director level posts out there,
    and too much for more junior posts. I have been told several times
    that I am too experienced and that firms are afraid of hiring me as I
    would merely up sticks and leave when things got better.

    I would like to know if this is a common experience or is this a
    problem unique to me?

    My CV is at http://www.netjunkie.org/~emerson/cv.html

    Regards

    Emerson

    ---
    "Life is understood backwards, but must be lived forwards" - Soren Kierkegaard
    "Goodness speaks in a whisper, evil shouts" Tibetan proverb
    Emerson
    Freelance Thinker.
    nutterat_private :PGP pubkey on request
    ICQ 13396569