RE: Article: Study Says Security Expertise In Short Supply

From: Jarrod Frates (fusionat_private)
Date: Wed Nov 28 2001 - 18:01:36 PST

    It's similar here in SoCal.  I've been looking for months to make the
    jump from desktop/network to security, but when I hear from recruiters
    or talk to companies, they offer $15-$17 an hour, and are shocked that I
    make half again that.  They emphasize benefits and vacation time, but my
    current contract provides for all of that, anyway.

    My only hope at the moment is convincing the people at my current
    company that they need a dedicated security ops person.  We have someone
    who handles policy, and he's good at that, but he's not a hands-on kind
    of person.  He can't keep up with the patches and the holes and
    everything else, and he doesn't know the hacker mentality.  I was trying
    to drop the suggestion quietly (political organizations make for sneaky
    actions), but then we got hit with Nimda.E, and the company was,
    administratively, shut down for three days.  I'm sure the catch-up costs
    are significantly above that of the costs of a security position, and
    it's my only hope to help reduce the inane requirements now put in place
    by people who think (or thought) a firewall is a great total defense
    package.

    If anyone has any suggestions how to do this, I'm all ears.  I'm about
    ready to take an axe to the door of the CIO if someone doesn't start
    listening, but I think that may damage my chances.

    Jarrod