Re: Article: 10 Hottest Certifications for 2002

From: rferrellat_private
Date: Wed Jan 02 2002 - 11:05:34 PST

    > Finally, the certification was originally designed
    > for and by federal gov't types...govvies.  Many of
    > the questions when I took the exam in '99 were
    > heavily weighted toward the Rainbow Series,
    > particularly the Orange and Red books.  The CPEs
    > are heavily weighted toward govvies, as well...I
    > don't know many commercial consulting firms that
    > can have their employees running off to
    > conferences and doing other things that they can't
    > bill to, all to get these CPE points.

    Oh, I don't know...I'm a 'govvie' and I'm just a couple
    of hours short of recertification for CISSP without
    attending a single conference.

    I will admit, though, that all certifications in the InfoSec
    field that I've investigated (not just CISSP) are pretty
    darned self-serving.  They tend to be highly competitive
    with one another, and to me that just hurts us in the
    overall picture.  Certs should ideally be complementary or
    reinforcing, not mutually exclusive.  I'd be a lot more
    inclined to pursue GIAC (I'm a big fan of SANS) if they
    weren't so frankly anti-CISSP.  I'm sure GIAC folks find the
    reverse to be true.  Instead of competing against one another,
    it would be nice to see some cooperation and a concerted attempt
    for each to fill in the gaps left by the other.

    Cheers,

    RGF

    Robert G. Ferrell, CISSP
    http://rferrell.home.texas.net/rgflit.html