RE: Article: 10 Hottest Certifications for 2002

From: Joe Faraone (faraonejat_private)
Date: Wed Jan 02 2002 - 14:43:15 PST

    ..interesting.  I didn't know SANS had gotten anti-CISSP?!  I guess it's
    been a while since I attended one of their conferences (last was SANS '98)
    and I was a guvvie (note spelling!) contractor (non-CISSP) at the time.

    Personal view/experience:

    CISSP -- Security Expert.  Great cert to cap off a long career (in my case
    18 plus years in COMSEC/COMPUSEC/INFOSEC/ST&E/CT&E/ID/IR) without taking a
    Master's.  Great for consulting, whether Big-5 or other commercial company.
    Indicates expertise/provides credibility that opens doors for consultants.
    Great for enhancing probability of successful application to "C I/S O"
    positions.

    GIAC:  Analyst.  Most useful for the Counterpane/Vigillinx/MSP de jour.
    Might be helpful cert for garden variety management consultants, but, by and
    large, they can't stay current with the latest attacks (for reasons of
    billability) and remain highly paid for long...  For CIO/CSO's they probably
    have or need several on their staffs, so they probably don't need this cert,
    though they might want to pursue it.

    As far as maintaining/earning CPE's...  If you're a consultant, try to land
    a speaking engagement or two at your local Infragard (blatant plug), ISACA
    or other professional association chapter (financial services societies are
    big on this). Write a white paper (or two) and try to get it published
    (internally or in an industry mag). Remember, if you do any
    training/teaching of your junior or peer consulting staff (or clients!),
    that counts too!  (That reminds me, I have some CPE's to submit...)

    Big conferences are difficult.  I've had more success landing gigs as a
    "booth dude" than an attendee in the past year...

    My .02,
    JF

    Joe Faraone, CISSP
    Enterprise Security Solutions Practice Center of Excellence
    Unisys Corporation
    joseph.faraoneat_private
    faraonejat_private