RE: Article: 10 Hottest Certifications for 2002

From: Clement Dupuis (cdupuisat_private)
Date: Thu Jan 03 2002 - 18:01:04 PST

    Good day Barry,

    I think that you have been misinformed about how SANS certification are
    working.

    First of all it is not 3K it is 2.6K USD.

    Second only after february 2002 will you have to pay the certification fee
    of 150$ to get certified.  It has always been free up to now.

    Third,  You are not required to take the track and can go for the open
    challenge which cost you only about 450$ USD.  There is 4 certs available
    for open challenge right now and more will be added soon.

    You do not have to recertify every year for all exams. Only a few are good
    for a year and they are the track that are changing that fast that they
    require a yearly update.  GCFW is 4 years, GCIA is 5 I do believe.

    The practical exam is what makes the difference between SANS and the other
    certs.  It is a way for you to show your mastery to the whole world.  I
    think that it is a great idea.

    In closing, I would seriously suggest that you visit the SANS web site and
    read more about GIAC.  It seems that you are badly informed.

    Regards

    Clement