RE: what to do if you get stuck with a terrible recruiter

From: Benjamin Tomhave (falconat_private)
Date: Mon Mar 11 2002 - 07:13:56 PST

    Recruiters are sales people and, unfortunately, it is the job they are
    selling -- not you!  They get their commission when they get a placement,
    and oftentimes this comes at the expense of the person being placed.  Having
    been burned in the past by recruiters, here are some things to keep in mind:

    1) Get everything in writing.  Being offered relo?  Get it in writing.
    Being offered a signing bonus?  Get it in writing.  Vacation?  Get it in
    writing.  If you get it in writing, it's much more difficult for your
    employer to take it away.  Also, it demonstrates that your prospective
    employer is cognizant of your requirements.  If you just go on what a
    recruiter is telling you, there's a good chance the prospective employer has
    not been informed of these requirements and you stand to lose out.

    2) A recruiter should not submit you for a job without your express,
    case-by-case permission.  You need to keep track of which positions you're
    applying for.  Do not rely on any one recruiter if you can avoid it.  And,
    whenever possible, work directly with a company instead of an independent
    recruiter.

    3) If a recruiter is messing with you, not representing you, etc., then can
    them.  Write them a letter stating that they may not represent you any more,
    that they are to remove your information from their database, and that if
    they submit your resume for a job from this point forward, you will sue
    them.  You may even need to print the letter out, sign it and have it
    delivered with a receipt signature.  Read receipt can work, too, though I
    for one strip all read receipts.  If you like the agency, but not the
    recruiter, appeal to a supervisor or manager.  Raise a ruckus.  If the
    recruiter isn't getting the job done, then they don't deserve to be in their
    position.

    4) Recruiters most often are not your friend.  However, they'll want you to
    think otherwise.  They want you to go through them for everything, because
    then they can get a commission.  Remember: they are sales people, and they
    make their money off of commissions.  There are a few exceptions.  Some
    recruiters do not take commissions, requiring you to pay them instead.  In
    this case, find proof that they will help you before you sign-up.
    Word-of-mouth tends to be a good reference in those situations.

    Good luck!

    -ben

     Benjamin Tomhave
     falconat_private