Re: Stop me before I consult again

From: Clyde (lugh-clydeat_private)
Date: Thu Dec 05 2002 - 09:33:58 PST

    Well, no wonder you're not happy; you need a reality fix. You are looking for the
    impossible and will never find it.

    No company considers security a top priority nor should they. Security isn't a money
    maker for anyone. Even security companies are in the business of selling, not security.
    Therefore, security is like insurance - it's something you need to protect the business,
    but it isn't the business of the company. That means that any company with security
    as a top priority would soon go out of business because their priority isn't on the
    business.

    Because security isn't the top priority, it will never have a very big piece of the budget.
    That means that the company is always looking for just enough security and no more -
    their definition and not yours. Building custom solutions to complex security problems is
    very expensive and slow. So, companies aren't likely to do it or be able to afford it.
    Therefore, they have to use commercial-off-the-shelf tools to solve their security
    problems. As those aren't perfect, they won't give a perfect solution, but it is likely to
    give them "just enough security". The cost/benefit analysis will almost always make
    vendor widgets win out.

    If you are in an organization by yourself or you are an absolute dictator of the
    organization, you can make things happen very efficiently. Otherwise, you have to work
    with people. For better or worse, everyone has different ideas and agendas. They also
    have ambitions and goals that probably don't include you in any way, shape, or form.
    Making all that happen on a day-to-day basis is called politics. It's ugly, mean, and
    inefficient. However, it is a fact of life in business. (OK, it's a fact of life in all human
    social engagements.) You can either fight against it and get yourself killed or you can
    play the game and get as much done as you can. (Third option - stay out of the way
    and do what you are told.) There really aren't any other choices.

    BTW, of course you are solving the same problems over and over. Most companies
    aren't nearly as unique as they think they are. They also all have the same threats,
    risk, and vulnerabilities. That's because they all use the same systems, tools, and
    methodologies. That's why they need your expertise. If they really were unique they
    probably wouldn't need you. They hire you because you have the knowledge that can
    be quickly and easily plugged into the problem. Companies don't hire brainpower; it
    usually isn't needed in business and often gets in the way.

    So, good luck finding your ideal job. I don't believe you will. If you think you have, I
    doubt you'll be happy in it for very long.

    Clyde

    <snip>