Re: How I turned my cable modem into a sniffer - WAS: Hijack IP Address using cable modem

From: Marcin Dawcewicz (mivat_private)
Date: Wed May 02 2001 - 04:55:15 PDT

    On Tue, 1 May 2001, Justin Ellison wrote:

    > The subject says it all.  It requires some work, and if the ISP knows what
    > they are doing, you probably can't do it.
    >
    > I know that this works on 3Com cable modems, as well as the GI SurfBoards -
    > I think it's a DOCSIS standard.
    >
    > First, you need the IP address of your cablemodem.  Social engineering,
    > instruction manual,

    www pages on CM, sniffing for DHCP packets and then ping sweeping whole
    cable modem subnet ...

    >  whatever.  Second, you need the snmp strings that the
    > cable modems use (if the ISP knows what they are doing, they won't be public
    > and private).

    ... but you still can get 'em if you manage to download some config files
    from ISP

    > Let's say that your cable modem IP address is 10.20.0.19 and your SNMP
    > strings are public/private.  Issue the following command from a linux box:
    >
    > snmpset 10.20.0.19 private
    > ifMIB.ifMIBObjects.ifXTable.ifXEntry.ifPromiscuousMode.2 i 1
    >
    > This sets the coax interface to go into promiscuous mode.  You should see
    > the lights start to blaze on the cable modem.  Fire up your favorite
    > sniffer, and off you go.
    >
    > Also of interest in the MIB are:
    > transmission.127.1.1.3.1.3.1 = xxxxxx
    > transmission.127.1.1.3.1.5.1 = xxxxxx
    >
    > These are the upstream and downstream bandwidth limiters.  I tried to change
    > them, but I got notWritable errors.  Maybe someone who's more familiar with
    > SNMP can work on those ;-)

    Some MIB entries can be set read-only in CM configuration file. I
    think that's the reason.

    > I didn't issue any security advisories, one because I've never done one, and
    > two because I think this is more of a problem with ISP's, not modem vendors.
    > If anyone disagrees, please let me know.

    IMHO that's particular ISP's problem.

    --
    greets,

    -= Marcin Dawcewicz =-         mailto: mivat_private
    "When freedom is outlawed, only outlaws will be free"