How I turned my cable modem into a sniffer - WAS: Hijack IP Address using cable modem

From: Justin Ellison (justinat_private)
Date: Tue May 01 2001 - 06:38:50 PDT

    The subject says it all.  It requires some work, and if the ISP knows what
    they are doing, you probably can't do it.

    I know that this works on 3Com cable modems, as well as the GI SurfBoards -
    I think it's a DOCSIS standard.

    First, you need the IP address of your cablemodem.  Social engineering,
    instruction manual, whatever.  Second, you need the snmp strings that the
    cable modems use (if the ISP knows what they are doing, they won't be public
    and private).

    Let's say that your cable modem IP address is 10.20.0.19 and your SNMP
    strings are public/private.  Issue the following command from a linux box:

    snmpset 10.20.0.19 private
    ifMIB.ifMIBObjects.ifXTable.ifXEntry.ifPromiscuousMode.2 i 1

    This sets the coax interface to go into promiscuous mode.  You should see
    the lights start to blaze on the cable modem.  Fire up your favorite
    sniffer, and off you go.

    Also of interest in the MIB are:
    transmission.127.1.1.3.1.3.1 = xxxxxx
    transmission.127.1.1.3.1.5.1 = xxxxxx

    These are the upstream and downstream bandwidth limiters.  I tried to change
    them, but I got notWritable errors.  Maybe someone who's more familiar with
    SNMP can work on those ;-)

    I didn't issue any security advisories, one because I've never done one, and
    two because I think this is more of a problem with ISP's, not modem vendors.
    If anyone disagrees, please let me know.

    Justin