Re: [bug]: Cause IE 5.X to crash

From: Philip Stoev (philipat_private)
Date: Sun May 06 2001 - 09:08:14 PDT

    Yes, I was able to reproduce that on IE 6.00.2462.0000. It behaves exactly
    as you put it.

    Since hitting Enter is not requred to launch this, I suppose it is a parsing
    issue at the level where the system decides what exactly have you typed, and
    is not a problem in the FTP handling code. I disabled AutoComplete, however
    it did not help, though I suppose it will not work on systems without
    AutoComplete at all (such as Win95 with IE 3.0)

    Also, note that if you use File -> Run, it is explorer.exe that crashes, and
    not iexplore.exe. This implies that the problem is in some library or code
    common to both. Probably the part that queries the registry to determine how
    ftp:// urls are handled.

    If you try with

    ftp.whatever//.#./

    , that is, no explicit protocol definition, it will only work after you hit
    Enter, because it is after you hit Enter that Windows adds the ftp:// in
    front (being told in the Registry that hosts starting with ftp. should be
    treated as FTP sites)

    Anyway, let Microsoft handle that.

    Philip