ATM PVC as security barrier

From: Alfred R. Collins (collinarat_private)
Date: Wed May 09 2001 - 05:24:07 PDT

    Our network engineer proposed ATM PVC's as a means to route Internet traffic
    across our corporate backbone. Obviously, the best approach is to carry the
    Internet traffic on totally separate channels. However, we have to
    distribute Internet access to far flung sites on our corporate owned
    network, and network engineering does not want to pay for independent
    communication channels. They insist on using the existing corporate network
    infrastructure because it is already there. I proposed VPN's as more secure
    than PVCs. Any other alternatives?  I am looking for feedback on using PVC's
    versus VPN's as a security barrier between our corporate network and the
    Internet. Note I am proposing that VPN's provide security in the reverse
    direction than how they are typically used. Rather than protecting traffic
    inside the VPN transversing an insecure network, I am proposing that a VPN
    can protect a corporate network from the insecure Internet traffic confined
    within the VPN. Is this a valid assumption? Note: both ends of the VPN
    terminate at a firewall that we control. Comments?