Re: MSN Virus?

From: BRAD GRIFFIN (b.griffinat_private)
Date: Wed May 09 2001 - 15:59:38 PDT

    This will give you a description of what you could be seeing:

    Name: W32/FunnyFile-A
    Aliases: W32.FunnyFiles.Worm , W32/Hello, W32/Hello.worm
    Type: Win32 worm
    Date: 2 May 2001

    Will be detected by Sophos Anti-Virus June 2001 (3.46) or later.
    A virus identity (IDE) file is available for earlier versions.

    At the time of writing Sophos has not seen any infections but
    has issued this advisory due to media interest caused by other
    AV vendors' alerts.

    W32/FunnyFile-A is a worm which uses Microsoft's MSN Messenger
    program to spread. The worm only affects users who have
    installed MSN Messenger programs.

    If the worm is run on a system without the MSN Messenger
    program, the message below is displayed:

      Run-time Error '91'.
      Object variable or With block variable not set

    The worm either sends itself as a reply to a newly-arrived
    message or when the user adds a new contact into the MSN
    Messenger contacts list.

    The body of the message contains the text:

      "i have a file for u. its real funny." .

    Read the analysis at
    http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/w32funnyfilea.html

    or a little here:
    http://www.viruslist.com/eng/default.asp?tnews=2&nview=1&id=1074