Re: Win32.Sircam.Worm Alert.....

From: Peter Gutmann (pgut001at_private)
Date: Tue Jul 24 2001 - 19:20:55 PDT

    Martin Lindquist <martinat_private> writes:

    >Today I received two e-mails with the mentioned attachments, although from
    >people I have never heard of before.

    I've had about 10MB of this stuff (all automatically junked by procmail :-)
    ranging from 200-600K, however as with Martin they were all from people I've
    never heard of before.  The advisory claims they're sent out to people in the
    sender's contact list, but I've never communicated with any of the senders.
    Since the body was automatically junked I don't have a copy to look at, but
    could these things be carrying some built-in target list (eg a spammer's
    database), or be contacting some spammers server for target addresses?  I just
    find it rather unlikely that I'd be in the contact list for a whole pile of
    people I've never heard of before (or maybe they're just all out to get me, who
    knows :-).

    Peter.