Re: A code red that could bring down the net?

From: Ian Stoba (ianat_private)
Date: Wed Jul 25 2001 - 08:58:42 PDT

    I think if you're looking for a "killer app" in that sense of the term,
    DDOSing the root name servers is not going to be the way to do it.

    Predicting failure in any complex system begins with an analysis looking
    for single points of failure. These could be physical (turning off the
    power to MAE West would take down a pretty good chunk of the internet)
    or logical.

    In the logical category I think the most obvious ones would be if
    someone found an effective remote kill for BIND or a flaw in BGP4,
    particularly Cisco's implementation.

    I've had a hunch for some time that a vulnerability in BGP4 was behind
    the L0pht's claim to Congress that they could take down the internet in
    half an hour.

    FWIW, I'm rather fond of the internet and this is in no way meant to be
    any kind of encouragement for anyone to try to attack it.

    --Ian