codegreen, the problem.

From: John Thornton (jthorntonat_private)
Date: Thu Sep 06 2001 - 06:07:47 PDT

    The thing that scares me about codegreen and others like is the fact
    that it reboots IIS without even warning the network administrator.
    In the real world there are production servers that are running
    24/7. Just up and rebooting a extremely important service such as
    IIS without letting anyone know is unheard of. For example, the company
    I work for runs a web based product that stores there clients data
    on SQL servers that is updated by IIS. If my servers just started
    to reboot while clients were using the product, our data integrity
    just went down the toilet and when you are talking about a product
    that is COMPLETELY data driven we have a problem. Now we are talking
    about countless man hours to inspect the database's and possibly
    have to fix the database's that your program just craped on. DBA's
    are not cheep. My company is going to be mad at me, and pissed at
    you for the money that was lost and having to explain to our clients
    why they were kicked out of our server. Now we are talking about
    a lawsuit. From this point of view, your program is far worse then
    code red. Welcome to corporate America. I know, it sucks.

    Don't get me wrong what you are doing is great. I respect it. The
    problem is that there are so many unique ways that IIS is used that
    this whole concept of a (for lack of a better term) white hat worm
    that fixes everything is just a bad idea and in certain cases can
    do more harm then what you are trying to fix. If this goes into the
    wild I would not be shocked at all if someone try's to sue. Just
    something to think about.

    H   A   C   K   E   R   '   S      D   I   G   E   S   T
    #1 for propeller heads
    www.hackersdigest.com

    John Thornton  -  jthorntonat_private
    Editor in Chief