RE: CodeGreen beta release (idq-patcher/antiCodeRed/etc.)

From: Everhart, Glenn (FUSA) (GlennEverhartat_private)
Date: Fri Sep 07 2001 - 12:56:23 PDT

    Quarantine has been helpful even in raging epidemics (e.g. the Black
    Death). However its effect has not always been helpful and
    it does not invalidate the fact that mass vaccinations are now
    well accepted at least in the US. Consider what kids get as routine,
    and you'll realize that we already immunize most of the population,
    pro-actively, to avoid mass disease. That was done because the diseases
    in question were common and dangerous. It is well documented that
    there are some harmed by these vaccinations, but their numbers are
    well below those of people harmed by the diseases before these
    programs began.

    As a society we are sometimes forced to consider using measures that
    are not strictly defensive. Concentrating as suggested here only on
    those systems managed by the well informed will not address the problem,
    and the prescription to communicate the problem strikes me as unlikely
    to work.

    I am perfectly mindful of the problems that have occurred because of
    new organisms introduced in environments where they have no history.
    The same goes with diseases; the pandemic among Amerinds when European
    diseases were introduced is a dramatic example.

    That is the reason for calling for some intelligent design and efforts to
    consider a coordinated response to these issues, rather than mass release.

    This is however outside the box of what has mostly been discussed. At times
    humankind has managed to nearly eliminate some diseases (remember Polio?
    Smallpox?
    You don't see them much anymore...). Not all the examples have been bad,
    and the technique can be used again.

    We need however to think along the lines of responses to infective agents,
    rather than responses to individuals who may release them, and think in
    terms
    of trying for herd immunity.

    Government involvement seems likely here in some form. Even in quarantine
    situations, this has generally been enforced by law, sometimes quite
    Draconian. I don't believe it is a good idea to privately release worms
    benign or otherwise. I do believe it could be essential to cooperate in the
    design of benign worms, and perhaps to cooperate in their release when
    there is a societal determination to release them.

    Yes, getting clean and reducing your own susceptibility to virii and worms
    is vital. If enough people can be contacted to clean up their systems, maybe
    the disease will die out by itself. But don't expect it to work all the
    time.

    Consider the threat of worms that may infect the Internet in 15 minutes.
    Consider too that the model that is generally discussed seems to be to find
    a hole, think of a patch, and try to spread the patch around.

    That model will not always work. Sometimes the hole will be used by an
    infector
    first.

    The way to AVOID such is to make systems stronger against infectious agents.
    Some of this could happen if design were forced to be better (don't buy or
    use
    insecure software...to the extent possible). Some might be done by suitable
    system enhancers which I would hope might be designed with community input.

    The way to TREAT such an infection once it becomes widespread may have
    to use some community decided-upon "antibiotic". (Please pardon my mixed
    metaphors...this is after all a mailing list posting, not an article.)

    The possibility of this type of treatment deserves to be considered also,
    preferably with fewer knee jerk responses.
    Glenn Everhart