searching through the address space of a process

From: Franklin DeMatto (franklin.listsat_private)
Date: Sat Oct 13 2001 - 21:32:10 PDT

    Is there a way for a process (i.e., shellcode) to search through its
    address space (looking for a particular string, etc.)?  I'm interested
    particularly in doing this under Windows, although Unix would be nice
    also.  Can this be done without using any API/syscalls, just in assembly alone?

    I can see to basic ways of doing it:
    1) Determining the address space, and then searching it
    2) Trying every block, but catching the gpf/segfault exceptions

    However, I do not know how to implement either one

    Franklin

    Franklin DeMatto
    Senior  Analyst, qDefense Penetration Testing
    http://qDefense.com
    qDefense: Making Security Accessible