pop3 exploit????

From: leon (leonat_private)
Date: Sat Oct 13 2001 - 22:20:00 PDT

    Hi everyone,

    I posted this to the incidents list already and no one seemed to know
    anything about it so I am posting it here because maybe someone here has
    a better "ear to the ground" so to speak.  Is there a new pop3 exploit
    out?  I constantly get scanned for the usual services (21, 23, 80,
    12345, 27374, etc, etc) and when I scan these systems back the only
    thing they have in common (as far as running services) is 110 pop3.  Now
    some of these ips are running a multitude of services and were probably
    compromised by other means but some are solely running 110.  Does anyone
    know anything about this?  I don't have any banners grabbed but I do
    have a slew of ips.  Also, I don't really care because I am not running
    any of the services that they are looking for so it is more of annoyance
    then anything else but I am still curious if anyone has seen anything
    like this.  I have no clue if these ips are static or dynamic.  This is
    being written at 1:15 am EST on 10/14/2001.

    If anyone wants to comment on list or off please feel free to do so.

    Thanks,

    Leon

    172.150.153.238
    213.245.47.41
    216.220.104.180
    213.112.62.68
    24.29.125.76
    212.184.148.179
    157.130.52.209
    4.24.9.58

    PS: if you would like more ips please let me know there come in
    constantly I just figured that was enough.