RE: Civil Disobedience

From: br0ken halo (x_burningat_private)
Date: Mon Oct 15 2001 - 13:55:08 PDT

    I agree that this bill is *very* unneeded...to say, to even make the
    comparison between a hacker and a terrorist is absurd! Terrosim kills
    people, hacking is a victimless crime. People go on and on about how our
    'national' infrastructure is at *grave* risk from evil hackers and that
    these evil hackers could destroy power grids, shut off our water, and cause
    the beginning of the freaking holocaust - yet have we actually seen any real
    world proof of this? This kind of thinking is only propaganda, as is the
    hacker - terrorist comparison.

    Beefing up the sentences on hackers/crackers/virus writers and the like is
    complete stupidity. It's a simple 'we don't really care about how the
    problem gets fixed, as long as it does get fixed' attitude. Thats exactly
    what this bill represents. The way to defeat the script kid is through good
    security practices through solid communication and deployment of the tools
    necessary to achieve a secure computing enviroment. This includes but is not
    limited to security lists, good security information websites such as
    http://www.securityfocus.com and the like. The only way security experts and
    administrators can secure their computing enviroment is by using the same
    tools that the hackers use to break into them. When you take away these
    tools from the security experts/administrators (as well as the script kids
    who use them), you're denying them the 'civil liberty' of taking matters
    into their own hands (as well they should!) to secure their computing
    enviroment. The spread of Information and good security practices is what
    will stop hackers from commiting crimes. Not beefing up sentences.

    Can you really justify sending an 18 year old kid to federal prison because
    he hacked your box?

    I live in a world of Paradox - My weakness` are your
    strengths, your wisdom is my stupidity, and your victorys
    are my losses, a victory that won't last.