Civil Disobedience

From: John Thornton (jthorntonat_private)
Date: Mon Oct 15 2001 - 07:29:39 PDT

    ( Moderator: Please pass this though Blue Boar. Please just allow this
    thread even if it is just for a day )

    In case you have been living under a rock the past few weeks. You should
    know that our civil liberties are under attack. Kevin Poulsen wrote:
    "Hackers, virus-writers and web site defacers would face life imprisonment
    without the possibility of parole under legislation proposed by the Bush
    Administration that would classify most computer crimes as acts of
    terrorism."
    ( http://www.securityfocus.com/news/257, Hackers face life imprisonment
    under 'Anti-Terrorism' Act). When you read the news this morning you will
    see that this bill was passed by the Senate.
    (http://www.securityfocus.com/news/265, Senate passes terror bill).

    I will say that most of the readers of this news group are not hackers but
    Network Administrators that are very involved with the Security Community.
    That is why I am asking you, not to report minor scans against your network
    to the abuse department of any ISP if this bill becomes law.

    I as a Network Administrator for many years now have been on a routine to
    check my logs for scans against my network every morning and send the logs
    of attacks to the abuse department of the ISP. I encourage every Network
    Administrator I ever talked to follow this practice to this day. It is my
    job Network Administrator to report these attacks on my network, it is what
    I am paid to do. However if/when this bill becomes law I will no longer
    report these attacks and I urge every Network Administrator to join me in
    this Civil Disobedience Protest against this bill.

    If/When this bill becomes law, Hackers/Script Kiddies will no longer be
    looked at as just kids messing around with computers, but as terrorists.
    Just as the press started to tell the difference between a criminal who uses
    computers and a Hacker. Now they all are just going to be terrorist. I have
    a problem with this.

    Perhaps you think this could not happen to you. Well I would suggest you
    read the story on Jerome Heckenkamp ( http://www.freesk8.org/ ). I
    contributor to BugTraq who wrote a exploit for qpop who is now facing 16
    counts of computer crimes, a maximum sentence of 85 years, and up to $4
    million in fines. After Qualcomm reported him to the FBI. This case is harsh
    now, just imagine if this happen under the 'Anti-Terrorism' bill. This could
    happen to you.

    Again, I have always felt it was my duty to report attacks against my
    network to there ISP. I looked at it as doing my part to make the internet
    more secure. I figured it is a good lesson for the kid to have his service
    taken away. If this bill becomes law then its no longer just some kid
    getting his service taken away. It is something that can escalate to much
    more and could result to some kid going to jail for a long time. I will not
    be a part of it even if there is just a slight possibility that this can
    happen. I want nothing to do with it.

     I ask each and every one of you to join me in this protest. It is not to
    late to make a difference. Once you lose your right you will never get it
    back.

    Thank you for your time,
    John Thornton  -  jthorntonat_private
    Editor in Chief
    Hackers Digest -  www.hackersdigest.com

         H  A  C  K  E  R  '  S    D  I  G  E  S  T
    Issue 2 comes out November 1st. Will you get it?
                    www.hackersdigest.com