RE: Infected jpeg files?

From: OBrien, Brennan (BOBrienat_private)
Date: Fri Nov 09 2001 - 07:48:26 PST

    Oh, don't misunderstand.  I'm not saying it *IS* done, I'm just saying
    it CAN be done.  This method has been used in cryptography for many
    years.  There's no reason it can't be applied here -- of course that
    leads us back to the issue of reading the darn thing.  Just because the
    disease is out there doesn't mean someone is susceptible.  Same holds
    true here.

    Besides, Bruce, the article refers to whether or not data *WAS* being
    transmitted as a means of communications, not whether or not it COULD be
    done.  If it technically were not possible, they wouldn't have bothered
    with the analysis in the first place.  It further notes that it didn't
    see anything as part of a dictionary search, and admits the likelihood
    of steganographic data contained on Ebay was pretty low.  I'm not
    disagreeing with any of this information.  Further, let's build a little
    cipher ourselves, shall we?

    I've got 10 images.  In these images I have codes which when examined
    with the right software reveal letters/numbers.  I tell you that in a
    string of locations is the letter combos you're interested in.  Boom.
    Over these ten images, I've tranmitted information to you *WITHOUT*
    changing the image one bit.  I'm simply using what exists to home you in
    to locations which themselves are innocuous.  In the process, I've sent
    you a message.

    Now, I don't mind someone yanking out a silver bullet and shooting me
    with it (hell, my wife does it to me all the time), but just because a
    group of people tested one direction of thought doesn't mean that all
    directions have been thoroughly considered and evaluated.  Sometimes the
    blatantly obvious is the most overlooked -- such as using fully fueled
    airplanes as missiles.

    Cheers.

    Brennan