New Remote Hole found in Berkeley Fingerd!

From: vuln-dev (vuln-devat_private)
Date: Tue Nov 20 2001 - 15:23:26 PST

    Hi everyone!

    We have discovered a remote vulnerability in Berkeley finger, which is
    somewhat trivial to exploit.  The vendor has been notified and now is the
    time for the hole to be fully disclosed to the security community.
    Attached to this submission is our advisory + full working exploit.
    Remember to use the information responsibly.

    Happy hacking.

    The GOBBLES Research Team
    http://www.bugtraq.org

    ++++++++++++++GOBBLES+SECURITY+RESEARCH+TEAM+INCORPORATED+++++++++++++++++
            ALERT! ALERT! BERKELEY FINGER VULNERABILITY! ALERT! ALERT!

    This is NOT Robert Morris gets() bug!

    #include "/tmp/.admin_files/trash/about_us.h"

    GOBBLES LABS was pioneered in year 2001 to address security threat to
    public. We will become renowned for our bleeding edge technology and method
    of giving software full-fledged battery of attack to find weakness and make
    this weaknesses known to public sector (not disk sector hehehe) so problem
    may be fixed in reliable manner. We invent several fuzz testing tool for
    remote daemon and we thus are able to stress test application for security.
    GOBBLES LABS uses proprietary artificial intelligence tool to aid in
    enumeration of remote host banner and then able to identify flaw through new
    operating system TCP/IP stack fingerprint by measuring delayed
    acknowledgement behaviour, thus being able to ratify system information by
    referencing a table of TCP slow start and fast retransmit behaviour. GOBBLES
    be adding patches to nmap security tool to show this method of identifying
    system like Solaris, IRIX, SCSI, Linux, *BSD, etc. etc.

    oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

    "To be or not to exist, were the great green grass exhumed by the twilight
    hour mystique" -- Gobbles Poetry, 2000

    PRODUCT
    *******

    program: Berkeley finger.cgi
    website: http://www.csua.berkeley.edu/cgi-bin/finger?source

    BACKGROUND
    **********

    Inspired by recent ingenius Bugtraq post entitled "How to use Google to find
    confidential informations," GOBBLES team begin question prospects in finding
    exploitable conditions in scripts return by google search machine. First
    GOBBLES did search like "allinurl:cgi-bin/finger" and find source offered by
    berkeley.edu in public domain. Source promise security but this promise
    broken because airhead programmer did not use common sense but instead use
    shoes too much (everyone remember pine holes?!?! not shoes used that time
    but too much cereal heheheeee).

    Programmer claim security with Perl comment:

    # check for some loozer trying to run a different process

    This obnoxious attitude not buy security though. Programmer who not fully
    understand /bin/sh -c nuance should not get programming as hobby at all.

    Ok, so for this audit we going to use vi editor because it offer flexibility
    in locate precise vulnerability. So we have our tools and that's important
    because we have to have tool.

    "Important to relax and just let source code speak to soul." -- Anonymous

    TECHNICAL DETAILS
    *****************

    Here is the working spotlight portion of code:

    # check for some loozer trying to run a different process

    if ($dest =~ /;|>||\||&/) {
        print <<EOH;
    <H1>Forget it, bum!</H1>
    <P>Either you made a big typo, or you're trying something funny with
    the system.
    </BODY></HTML>
    EOH
        exit(0);
    }

    ###############
    # do the finger
    ###############

    if ($dest) {
        if ($xpid = open(FINGER,"$finger $dest |")) {
            print "<PRE>", <FINGER>, "</PRE>";
            close(FINGER);
        }
        else {
            print <<EOH;
    <P>There was an error during the finger process.</P>
    EOH
        }
    }

    Ok, so we immediately see questionable open() call and notice $dest scalar
    come from user input. But programmer try best to strip out metacharacter. HE
    WRONG. HE DID NOT THINK ABOUT NEWLINE!!!! WHAT MATTER WITH DENSE PEOPLE
    THESE DAYS???? Nobody learn from phf hole???? GOBBLES find this poor
    education in public very disturbing and hope that "necessary evil" stated by
    aleph1 will help berkeley.edu fix their security.

    DEMONSTRATION
    *************

    In order to prevent malicious attacker from using this hole, GOBBLES has
    taken obscurity measures to protect an innocent host from being cracked.
    Thus, the vulnerable host has been replaced with domain host.com below.

    http://www.host.com/cgi-bin/finger?dest=x%0aid

    EXPLOIT
    *******

    This bug can be exploited with Unicode / CGI Decode exploit from Microsoft
    called Internet Explorer.

    VENDOR NOTIFICATION
    *******************

     Domain Name: BERKELEY.EDU

       Administrative Contact, Technical Contact, Billing Contact:
          University of California, Berkeley  (UCB-NOC)  nocat_private
          Communication and Network Services
          283 Evans Hall #3806
          Berkeley, CA 94720-3806
          USA
          1-510-643-3267

    rootat_private and nocat_private contacted with vulnerability
    information and fix suggestion.

    GREETS
    ******

    dianora -- where would we be without you? You instilled in GOBBLES security
    importance of clearly documenting "return 0;" behavior in big, robust code
    like hybrid-6. GOBBLES knows numeric misuse issues in hybrid-6 but will keep
    them quiet for now until we able to develop patch and stop irc warrior
    abusing issue with exploit created by GOBBLES hacking team who help security
    industry to stop other hackers getting in. That important trend today:
    hackers working with security industry to stop hackers getting in is logical
    progression from stage magician telling the audience how the trick is done.
    It is sensible and people should not be criticized for this.

    tsk, snow, carolyn meinel, john vranesevich, steve gibson, kimble, emmanuel
    goldstein, box.sk, @stake, securityfocus, blackhat.com, defcon.org,
    2600.com, #phrack@efnet, #hackphreak@undernet, bugtraq (thanks aleph1 and
    david ahmad for devoting your time to a great list), ntbugtraq (russel the
    love muscle ;D), cert.org, paul vixie, vesselin bontchev, reese witherspoon,
    kirstin dunst, katie holmes, aleister crowley, manly p hall, franz bardon,
    dennis ritchie, nietzsche, w. richard stevens, and all our friends and
    family.

    GOBBLES SECURITY
    http://www.bugtraq.org/