Re: [ALERT] Remote File Execution By Web or Mail: Internet Explorer

From: Robert Collins (robert.collinsat_private)
Date: Thu Nov 22 2001 - 17:49:59 PST

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: "Mariusz Mazur" <mariuszat_private>
    > Ok... So we know that there is a bug... It's a critical one, ppl can
    > "turn it off" by editing something in the registry and Microsoft is
    > working hard to fix it. Oh... and we know that for the next 60 days some
    > people can cause some damage to me and I have no way to protect myself.

    Welcome to the world of partial disclosure.

    > Is this just me or maybe more people think that releasing this
    > "advisory" (though this should be called "intimidator") was completely
    > irresponsible and plain stupid?

    Actually, I think that non-full disclosure is irresponsible and plain
    stupid. Of all the points on *both sides* of the argument, the one that I
    think is most important, is that without full disclosure or an equivalent
    audit process, there is no pressure other than market share and perception
    for software vendors to provide enough data for me to protect myself *OR* to
    validate that the software vendor is doing their job and protecting me.

    And this is a near perfect example of this: Enough data for me to protect
    myself - the registry file to import - will likely provide enough detail for
    a cracker to create an exploit.

    -Rob