Apache HTTPD's magical behavior

From: Russell Handorf (rhandorfat_private-world.com)
Date: Fri Nov 30 2001 - 09:04:01 PST

    Today I was browsing the Internet when I came across a server that would
    not let me view the contents of the root dir.

    However, it did let me view the contents of a dir within it's root dir. So
    I tried the following:

    http://>/<dir i can browse>../

    And for some reason it allowed me to view the root dir and all of its contents.

    Anyone else have this problem?

    I submit the following example.

    First, go to

    http://backbone.sourceforge.com

    now, go to

    http://backbone.sourceforge.net/mrtg-2.8.12/..		(Don't forget the '..'s)

    I know the server log's it as viewing the readable dir plus the /..	and
    that files within the root dir, once exposed via the '..', may have a
    problem with being downloaded. That is easily circumvented via adding in
    the file name after .. (ex: http://>/<dir>/../<file>

    russ
    ==================================
    Russell Handorf
    oooo, shiney ::Wanders after it::

    www.russells-world.com
    www.inside-aol.com
    www.terrorists.net
    www.bad-mother-fucker.org
    www.philly2600.net

    "Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pacman affected us as kids,
    we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching pills and listening
    to repetitive music." ~unknown