Re:Potential hole in Ettercap 0.6.2

From: ALoR (Alorat_private)
Date: Tue Dec 04 2001 - 14:36:04 PST

    At 16.44 04-12-2001, you wrote:

    >among other problems. analysis of the gobbles exploit [1] shows its abuse
    >of the update process that gets done. in src/ec_main.c:
    >{cut}
    >so i set my path to be .:$PATH and make my own wget, and what gets
    >executed is ./wget. an example one i got to work is:
    >
    >         #!/bin/sh
    >         id
    >
    >it honors the permissions of the caller ... this is just executing
    >ettercap -v, the update path ...

    I supposed that ettercap was already runned by root...
    btw I can drop the super user priviledges during the system().

             setuid(getuid());
             setgid(getgid());
             system(wget);

    is it ok ?

    >yeah. there are some format string problems. and there are probably a
    >bunch of other problems. the one gobbles was seeing was likely caused by
    >the error function 'void Error_msg(char *message, ...)' which doesn't do
    >any formatting.

    Error_msg() is ok, it was in the Interface_WExit() the problem.

    >you have many issues to fix in the code, it appears. i would disblae the

    yes, we know that, but ettercap was coded to prove some ARP insecurity, not
    to make a commercial software... ;)

    >suid option. yeah, its moronic to install it suid root. however even
    >marginaly respecting it (and dropping your priv checks) is a bad idea
    >until you can more agressively audit the code, a time consuming process,
    >yes. it's a nice tool, i hope you can fix the problems in it.

    I hope too... with the help of everyone who finds a bug in it.
    Not as goobbles said, without telling us the bugs because we have to find
    it ourself.
    This is a leet way of thinking an not a good way to improve the community.

    bye

      ettercap project : http://ettercap.sourceforge.net
      e-mail: alor (at) users (dot) sourceforge (dot) net