Re: Linux Firewalls

From: Kain (kainat_private)
Date: Thu Dec 20 2001 - 16:50:53 PST

    On Thu, Dec 20, 2001 at 02:51:53PM -0800, McKee, Charles wrote:
    > I have a quick question about an article I have just read in the latest
    > addition of Sys Admin.
    > In the article it states that one can keep alive IPChains and Natd when
    > you do a shutdown -h on a Linux box, that is running Red hat 6.2.
    >
    > I was wondering will this work on for the latest versions of Linux and
    > what about the BSD family, Mandrake or even Solaris.

    What happens is that ipchains, iptables, and other friends have rulesets
    that would only get unloaded by a shutdown script.  In most cases, it
    wouldn't matter, since those kernel subsystems will never see packets
    since all your net interfaces should be brought down by that point.
    --
    Assassins do it from behind.
    **