Re: Complicated Disclosure Scenario

From: Nick Lange (nicklangeat_private)
Date: Thu Jan 17 2002 - 03:12:26 PST

    Hey,
    If I was you (and this is just me...)
    Forward your vuln-dev letter to them, informing them of your dilemma; they
    may read it as a threat - but it is in fact the reality of things.
    Personally, if a company chooses to ignore a problem rather than fixing it,
    then they display an immaturity that must be corrected. This correction may
    hurt them and their customers, perhaps financially, but the next time
    someone says "Hey I found XXX in application YYY," they sure as hell are
    going to pay more attention to it. Who says growing up is easy.
    Now if you don't report this problem, someone else could find an exploit (if
    they haven't already) and *not* report it all and start exploiting machines
    anyways. The customer still loses and the company must deal with the problem
    after the fact - much worse than before the fact.
    The company may not like the fact that their product poses a security
    vulnerability, perhaps this is the first time this situation has arisen;
    however, any mature company expecting to do business, especially with
    networked applications, will readily treat these situations with the
    priority they deserve.

    I say give them one last chance or else post the advisory; furthermore,
    (while I'm thinking of it) perhaps you are speaking to the wrong person.
    Ideally you shouldn't have to do this, but try involving someone else if
    possible either by e-mail or phone.
    Anyways that's my 2 cents.
    Good Luck.
    Nick