Re: Complicated Disclosure Scenario

From: Bill Weiss (houdiniat_private)
Date: Thu Jan 17 2002 - 07:57:21 PST

    Josha Bronson(dmuzat_private)@Wed, Jan 16, 2002 at 07:01:24PM -0800:
    > Greetings fellow security folk,
    >
    > I would like to gather some opinions on a not so theoretical disclosure
    > scenario. Please for the sake of focused discussion keep your replies
    > related to the specific scenario that I am proposing and not alternate
    > opinions on disclosure in general.
    >
    > At this point I contacted the vendor to alert them to the existence of
    > this problem. After exchanging multiple emails, in which I tediously
    > outlined the DoS condition and *potential* exploit situation I was told
    > that they would wait until I determined if code could be exploited
    > before they began creating an advisory or even working on a patch.

    Release an advisory.  It's not your job to research the vulnerability.
    The DoS works, and the exploit may work.  I'd suggest releasing it as such,
    and tracking down someone who runs the software and (with their permission!)
    run the exploit.  If it works, Re: it to the advisory.

    Alternately, release it in here, so people can test it.  You'll get proper
    credit, and find out if the exploit works.  If not, there's still a DoS in
    it.

    Though it's good of you to worry about the customers, it's the company's job
    to keep their users safe of exploits.  The response you got indicates that
    this may not be their highest priority.  Though I could hazzard some guesses
    as to the company (*ahem*), I'll just leave it at "I'm glad I don't use their
    software" (I hope).

    -- Bill Weiss