Re: Complicated Disclosure Scenario

From: Dan (sfmlat_private)
Date: Thu Jan 17 2002 - 07:19:15 PST

    From the SecurityFocus info on Vuln-Dev:

      There are many forums for reporting security bugs and distributing
      vulnerability code or examples. A prime example of such a forum is
      the BUGTRAQ mailing-list. However, nearly all of these forums exist
      mostly for the dissemination of fully-researched reports, and they
      leave little room for discussion. In addition, many bugs are
      spotted not written-up, due to lack of interest, time, or expertise.

      The VULN-DEV list exists to allow people to report potential or
      undeveloped holes. The idea is to help people who lack expertise,
      time, or information about how to research a hole do so.

      The VULN-DEV list is dedicated to the concept of full disclosure.
      We believe that release of exploit code serves the security
      community overall. Since the list is dedicated to interactively
      researching vulnerabilities, there will there will generally NOT be
      an opportunity to warn software vendors or authors. In many cases it
      will not be clear that there is a problem until the exploit or
      description is finalized, at which point all list subscribers will
      know. It is very appropriate to notify vendors or authors as soon as
      it is clear there is a problem.

    You've notified the company and done your part.  You may want to
    inform them that you don't have the resources to explore further
    so you will post it to vuln-dev by such and such a time to be
    explored further.  I wouldn't post it as an advisory cause that
    may attract more attention.  I'd just say hey look what I found,
    what can you do with it?

    Dan

    > I would like to gather some opinions on a not so theoretical disclosure
    > scenario. Please for the sake of focused discussion keep your replies
    > related to the specific scenario that I am proposing and not alternate
    > opinions on disclosure in general.

    <snip>

    > At this point I contacted the vendor to alert them to the existence of
    > this problem.

    <snip>